chevy 63s

Four0Sport

Jack from JackOffRoad
Reaction score
City, State
West Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 2dr
Maybe I have lost my searching saavy in my old age but I cannot seem to find a single 'good' thread showing chevy 63 leafs under the rear of an Explorer. I am contemplating running them in the rear of my sport to get a few inches of rear stretch and still use an inexpensive factory leaf. If anyone could redirect me to threads with info of amount of lift, pics of install, etc. that would be spectacular.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have seen plenty of chevy 63 installed in the back of Rangers with reverse shackles
The front hanger is moved forward, the rear hanger is flipped upside down so the shackle goes up instead of down.
Very few explorers I have seen with the chevy springs.
Most people know these springs as "64" so you may try using that in your search terms, although they actually measure 63" they have been known for years as the chevy 64" leafs

Yeah I can find the desert ranger boys doing it all day long.. I however want to keep my leafs under the frame. hmm.. this may be a challenge.

width is right, front hanger can stay where it is currently, can box rear of frame in and run a shackle off the back of the crossmember.. just curious about lift. Right now, with the front coilovers and everything measured to clear a 40" tire, it just so happens that a stock explorer leaf pack and a spring over keeps the truck level. My Appalachian American roots tell me to just flip my springs but 9th grade physics class tells me not to do that.

I should prbly update my sas thread with pics. Maybe tonight.

Yes please do update! Very interesting stuff here.

I’m running Chevy 64s under my Explorer.
I moved the front hangers forward the proper amount to keep the axle in its home.
it rides way better and flexes great.

I remember when forums were busy/happening places. I check out this forum most days and there are few updates.
Four0Sport did you end up putting the Chevy 64s?

I will be using Chevy 64" leaf's with a reverse shackle (rear shackle will face up) in an effort for the rear axle to keep up with the long travel front suspension on this 2007 Ranger I am building

I am running them on my ranger too. They work well.

I’m running Chevy 64s under my Explorer.
I moved the front hangers forward the proper amount to keep the axle in its home.
it rides way better and flexes great.
How did you do the drivers side? I just crawled under my 2 door and it looks a little tight with the fuel tank. Also the frame narrows just ahead of the front mount.. not sure what it looks like under a 4 door that I'm assuming you are running.

Back