Chip makers want auto manufacturers to get out of stone age | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chip makers want auto manufacturers to get out of stone age

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL '20 ST
Callsign
AB7FH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's the same thing as NASA. They use chips from phones 20 years ago. Why? Because they are durable and proven to last a long time in harsh environments. This is why your '93 Explorer still starts right up. The rest of the car will be gone before the chip stops working.

Your phone will last 5 years at best.

It's the same thing as NASA. They use chips from phones 20 years ago. Why? Because they are durable and proven to last a long time in harsh environments. This is why your '93 Explorer still starts right up. The rest of the car will be gone before the chip stops working.

I would like to see instant on displays. If the car is capable of moving, the display should be fully available. I don't think that's too much to ask for in 2021. ;)

Wait till it only half updates and freezes the screen out for you for entire drive... So annoying 🙄

Wait till it only half updates and freezes the screen out for you for entire drive... So annoying 🙄

Our's rebooted during a drive to install an update.

There’s a higher profit margin in the newer chips, this has nothing to do with performance.

No worries, they are building a brand new chip plant near us. 1200 acres purchased for 89 million, and a factory that is supposed to cost 80 BILLION... Sadly it's a Taiwanese company.

Now we just have to wait two years before they open their doors ;)

"“For the foundries, investing in the old technology is much less attractive, because sooner or later there will be a migration to the new technology,” Enrico Salvatori, president of Qualcomm Europe, said in an interview."

and that new foundry is going to suck all the water in the region dry

Shrinking the die size doesn't really help in industrial/automotive controls - your looking for consistent and reliable performance, not how many FPS can the damn display do..

and that new foundry is going to suck all the water in the region dry

Impossible the state says we have all the water we will ever need. I"ve been here nearly 40 years and we have never had water restrictions.:banghead:

your looking for consistent and reliable performance, not how many FPS can the damn display do..

That's the trouble, they currently do not have consistent reliable performance. MFT going back to 2011, and now issues with Sync.

Your phone will last 5 years at best.
Had to toss a good phone when the tech changed to 4g/5g...I'm sure my 98 Ex has many fewer chips than the recent models, and I don't miss them! For instance, years ago I was in a near wreck (Miata cut right in front of my 81 Crown Vic, severely cutting me off and going 15mph to my 35.)..If tech tried to auto-stop it, the crash would have badly injured them, impossible to stop that fast. Swung around them hitting the gas, all was well.

Back