Chip/Tuner - SCT VS Hypertech | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chip/Tuner - SCT VS Hypertech

09STAdrenalin

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Hi!

My mods are slowly coming along (actually, faster than I expected!), and now I am faced with which tuner to get....The reason I am getting a tuner IS NOT to race, or get more HP. Basically, I will be using this truck for various things, including towing (1500lbs) in mountainous areas. I used to have an 07 Tundra, and the transmission was so messed up that climbing hills was terrible. The truck shifted far too soon - so it would try to climb hills in 6th gear...we always ended up having to use the tiptronic. Neither of the companies above made a chip/tuner for the Tundra, so we settled on Unichip - but it had no adjustable shift points.

So, if I was looking at getting better fuel economy, but also able to adjust shift points to make towing better...

I noticed almost everyone here uses the SCT...why,is it that much better, or did you guys get a "group buy" discount, or is the service with Torrie that much better than dealing with someone else...ors is it because no one on here has tried Hypertech and everyone just uses SCT?

-B

I used SCT and Torrie because everyone else did... Not that its about follow the leader or anything, but because anything that rewrites to your ECU/PCM/TCM can seriously mess up your vehicle if not done correctly. So I went with what I knew worked. I couldn't tell you anything about Hypertech, probably just as good depending on who writes your tune.

I didn't bother getting any economy tunes, I've read from other that have tried them that they didn't really provide any legitimate MPG increases. In fact, more often than not Ive heard that the performance tunes increase MPG's better than economy tunes as long as youre not getting on it too much; but that's just what I've heard.

I'm running an SCT 93 Performance canned tune and it's decent. I would recommend it as a good product and upgrade, but I can't say its better or worse then any other tuner out there.

If your towing, you might want to consider a gear ratio swap as well. Can save your tranny in the long run, and give you more go off the line when you want to have fun. I suggest going up 2, basically if your running 3.55's, think about getting 4.10's. The reason I say go 2 is that if you went from 3.55's to 3.73's, you might not notice the difference and you'll think you pissed away $700 on a gear swap. But that's just me.

Take care,

Back