• Register Today It's free!

Chips and ICM's?

Makahveli

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Sport and AMG 300CE
I was wondering if I bought an apten chip, does that replace my ICM. my ICM is throwing codes and needs to be replaced, just wondering before I run out and buy another one.

well, i dont know what you mean by ICM, but if u are talking aqbout the PCM(Powertrain control module) The Chip DOES NOT replace the module - for the 92 it connects in a harness between the sensors and the computer. Someone might have to correct me on this, but I beleive the chip gives you the ability to turn off the CEL, but you would still need to fix the problem, there would just be no light

so the chip replaces nothing, just an add on?

All a chip will do is change timing and fuel/air ratios and on later models with electronically controlled transmissions, it will alter the shifting for more performance. It attaches to a service port on the side of the OCM. Removal reverts your PCM to the stock settings.

If you are getting CEL codes, fix whatever the codes indicate. Putting in a new PCM won't do it and they are fairly specific to year, region of the country and a couple other things.

Back