Chopping/Binding Problems still accur | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chopping/Binding Problems still accur

so i have the same problem in mine only when its in 4wd and on pavement, not sure if it does it in the dirt/mud. Also, my mom has an 04 F-250, same problem. I was told its just because of the way the front end is built.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so i have the same problem in mine only when its in 4wd and on pavement, not sure if it does it in the dirt/mud.

Try disconnecting your front driveshaft. Make sure you mark it on both ends before removing it.

RSG's web site says that the Viscous Coupling for the 4410 is BW Part #44-00-625-001

drivetrain.com says the Viscous for the 4404 is BW Part #4404-625-001

nuts, '625-001' you would think, so close. . .but that 440'4' one digit, that stinks. Ever find one?

nuts, '625-001' you would think, so close. . .but that 440'4' one digit, that stinks. Ever find one?

No luck :( :( :(

Everyone I call needs for me to have an account with them, or I have to call one of their distributors. When I call them they don't have a clue or they 'can't find a diagram' I even give them the part number and they don't call me back...

I might just have to get that junkyard transfer case, apparently removed from and '05 for $400

any updates for us?

mine was doing the same thing and it was the electromagnet in the transfercase that was locked half way and i had to replace the whole TC. cost me about 500 bucks for used case and install

replace the tranfer case

its excellent i recommend the chain and coupling to anyone who has binding when turning its like driving a 2 wheel drive until u slip traction

wayne

I Finally got my 4410 transfer case. New from Ford. I held the rear driveshaft yoke and the front drive shaft yoke and tryed spinning, both of them spin together. I tried holding the front driveshaft yoke steady while spining the rear and I couldent....I thought i'd be able to since i though thats how it works. Now I'm scared that the TC is not the problem? but where else could it be? Front diff???? Everything is fine with front driveshaft removed though....

with the front wheels on the ground and the rear in the air with a good chain or strap wrench you should beable to turn the rear driveshaft by hand if the coupling is functioning properly but it will take alot of force

wayne

I Finally got my 4410 transfer case. New from Ford. I held the rear driveshaft yoke and the front drive shaft yoke and tryed spinning, both of them spin together. I tried holding the front driveshaft yoke steady while spining the rear and I couldent....I thought i'd be able to since i though thats how it works. Now I'm scared that the TC is not the problem? but where else could it be? Front diff???? Everything is fine with front driveshaft removed though....

The reason being, is that it is built to still send 35% of the power to the front output shaft, even when fully unloaded. So, it's going to be fairly hard to turn them separately with your hands.

I'm betting that the transfer case fixes the problem.

I have a 2002 Mountaineer AWD 4.6 and ever since a few months after we bought it its been having problems while turning. esp at slow speeds. Its the front tires. They bind up and acctually skip/jump. I've read that it could be the clutch pack in the rear. But I have an AWD unit so there is no Clutch Packs. Just an open rear w 3.55's. My tires weren't perfect when we bought it so I heard if your tires aren even they could screw up the AWD system. So I bought 4 new tires....Still having the same problem..Now I'm thinking its something with my transfer case. I've disconnected my front driveshaft and problems go away completly.

How can I be sure that it is the transfer case? Is it possible to rebuild? or should I just buy a new one from ford?

the front shaft does it bind up while its out of the vehicle?

the front shaft does it bind up while its out of the vehicle?

No, everything is normal with the front driveshaft discconected. minus the 4wd capabilitys (obviouslly)

I may do the swap this weekend. I'm planing on making a write up, maybe I could help someone on the boards with issues like mine.

how are the tires on the car?

i would start with tires, are they all the same size/wear?

just on a side note, i would check the rear diff fluid or do a service on it. they used to have clutches in the rear causing what felt like front end bind up.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how are the tires on the car?

i would start with tires, are they all the same size/wear?

just on a side note, i would check the rear diff fluid or do a service on it. they used to have clutches in the rear causing what felt like front end bind up.

Already was told by many mechanics that it was 'DEFINATLLY' the rear. I droped the rear out of the car, opened it up, only to find...I Do NOT have a Limited Slip diff. Reinstalled, fresh fluid....found out the hard way...I should have just listed to myself. Felt like an idiot after that one. Could have just checked the door tag to find out what style rear I had.....

I put four new Goodyear Forterras on it beacuse If they are not in a certain difference with eachother that would cause the problems on an AWD. The ones that were on the car when we bought it have seen better days. Seems that the previous owner put only TWO new matching BFG Rugged Trails on the car and left the other two original BFG Rugged Trails that came with the car from the factory in '02. What mechanic allowed them to change only two...that is beyond me...but....Got to it too late, Viscous coupling had already been locked in FULL AWD.

If I don't have anything going on next weekend I will install new ford TC. Already pre-lubed from ford, just need to pick up a new transmission/transfer case gasket just to be safe. Thought it would have been included.

I'm supprized how little step-by-step information I could find on how to remove the transfercase from the vehicle...
It dosn't look difficult. I just like to follow instructions when provided for reasurance.

Back