Chopping/Binding Problems still accur | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chopping/Binding Problems still accur

MSM0075

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 EB
I have a 2002 Mountaineer AWD 4.6 and ever since a few months after we bought it its been having problems while turning. esp at slow speeds. Its the front tires. They bind up and acctually skip/jump. I've read that it could be the clutch pack in the rear. But I have an AWD unit so there is no Clutch Packs. Just an open rear w 3.55's. My tires weren't perfect when we bought it so I heard if your tires aren even they could screw up the AWD system. So I bought 4 new tires....Still having the same problem..Now I'm thinking its something with my transfer case. I've disconnected my front driveshaft and problems go away completly.

How can I be sure that it is the transfer case? Is it possible to rebuild? or should I just buy a new one from ford?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

could be a cv axle or uni or your trans you gotta try and poke around find wut doesnt feel right

could be a cv axle or uni or your trans you gotta try and poke around find wut doesnt feel right

What should I try?

I've removed the front driveshaft and everything rides fine.

I would second the CV axle... mine binds and pops in 4 wheel drive but when its in 2 wheel it rides fine with a light click type noise.

Just to be sure its AWD you have no buttons on the dash but 4wd?

With the front drive shaft out you nailed it down to 90% positive its the Viscous clutch inside the transfer case. . . $400 for a new one plus the rebuild cost . .to make it 100% you would have to inspect the Viscous once removed the xfr case. They can fail locked up or open. . .there have been some good threads on this in the past. i'll post if i can find them.

CV axle test was in reverse sharply turn the wheel if you hear clicking then its most likely a CV joint. Binding in sharp turns, slow figure 8's lock to lock - Viscous.

Where Should I order the Visous? I'm almost positive thats the problem now by reading what you posted.

Also, What else should I order while I'll have the case open?
Should I continue to use Motorcraft fluids? Or use something else?
Any other info would be GREAT!

Also. I'm pretty sure we bought the car with this problem, but it wasn't NEARLY as bad as it is now. at idle on a tight turn, the car will acctually STOP rolling. We bought it with 33k miles on it, now has 44k Since then I've had a front drivers side axle seal blow out of the front diff. I don't know if that was related or not. I don't know if you've seen my thread about the vent cap tube melting for the diff or not. Now I'm worried if we've done any more damage besides what we think is the Viscious Clutch.... I've been driving it without the front driveshaft out for a long time now. Havn't heard or noticed anything. So its probably fine...??

Driving without the front driveshaft is helping to preserve your front differential until this problem is fixed. It sounds like you should AT LEAST change your front diff fluid, and now. Keep that driveshaft out until the transfer case is fixed/repaired/replaced to minimize more front diff problems. I'm not too sure about 3rd gens, but on 2nd gens, we have to set our e-brake when we park the truck to keep it from creeping away downhill.

Driving without the front driveshaft is helping to preserve your front differential until this problem is fixed. It sounds like you should AT LEAST change your front diff fluid, and now. Keep that driveshaft out until the transfer case is fixed/repaired/replaced to minimize more front diff problems. I'm not too sure about 3rd gens, but on 2nd gens, we have to set our e-brake when we park the truck to keep it from creeping away downhill.

I'm not driving the truck anymore untill I fix the TC. I changed my front diff fluid when my seal poped out. I used motorcraft recommended fluids.

With the parking brake thing. I figured it was a 2nd gen issue only, You guys use the 4404 and 3rd gens have the 4410 if im not mistaken. The truck never rolled on me with the driveshaft removed but I put the brake on to be safe.

No luck finding a Viscous...Only bearings and seals, basic stuff.

first junkyard quote 500 bux for a tc

My money is on the front drive shaft if it looks like this one. The CV should have a lot of easy movement. If it barely rotates or not at all you will need a new one. If it looks nothing like this one just ignore me please :D

Attachments

• 0108102113.jpg
    0108102113.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 3,115

good point, makes sure that driveshaft is ok, you tested it too with xfr case. . in way.
stuff still there i would expect some symptom . .

500 . . nuts, i've heard lower before, maybe the demand is up???

i've replaced/rebuilt two xfr cases for heeps - the first one i found a crate reman for $850, local trans shop install was $350, they said they would also match the price i got on the web - $1250 later (saved on shipping); next one i found a good trans and gear guy who rebuilt the second one for $650 (no viscous).

I'd be tempted to go reman if it includes a new clutch, its possible the junkyard maybe worn out too, although low miles might work out.

Well. I'm going to do all my phone calls tomorow to try and get my hands on a Viscous Coupling. I'm also going to be calling Junkyards to get some more pices on a complete transfer case. I'm almost shocked to see how little information I could find for the 4410. I have found a decent amount for the 4404. If I am sucessful on everything I will be making a detailed write up for others who have had this problem, espicially with our 02-05 models.

Also. I forgot where exactly I removed my front driveshaft. the front side of the shaft has yellow markings. but for the transfer case side there where no markings and I forgot where it was. Will this make a difference? I've heard both that it does and it does not...

just to be sure, unless you found out differently
4410 is the single speed with Viscous
4411 is the two speed with the shift motor. . . .

Got another junkyard quote at 400 bux for a complete transfer case.

I am having NO luck with finding a viscous. If anyone can get there hands on one please let me know!!!! I Need help!

any chance the 4404 viscous would work? you would have to cross reference the part numbers. . .?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

any chance the 4404 viscous would work? you would have to cross reference the part numbers. . .?

RSG's web site says that the Viscous Coupling for the 4410 is BW Part #44-00-625-001

drivetrain.com says the Viscous for the 4404 is BW Part #4404-625-001

Back