Chopping/Binding Problems still accur | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Chopping/Binding Problems still accur

only thing you might need is a tcase to trans gasket its one of them ****ty paper ones.

besides that its drop 2 both drive shafts and just unbolt the 13mm or 15mm bolts. think 13. the pita some have no clearance for a socket/ratchet, and they are all lock tight in....

yellow i think. pretty straight forward tho.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

only thing you might need is a tcase to trans gasket its one of them ****ty paper ones.

besides that its drop 2 both drive shafts and just unbolt the 13mm or 15mm bolts. think 13. the pita some have no clearance for a socket/ratchet, and they are all lock tight in....

yellow i think. pretty straight forward tho.

Yes, I did mention about purchasing a new gasket just in case.

It seems pretty straight foward. I already have my front driveshaft disconnected...I'm just trying my best to plan it out before I rush into it.

My money is on the front drive shaft if it looks like this one. The CV should have a lot of easy movement. If it barely rotates or not at all you will need a new one. If it looks nothing like this one just ignore me please :D

what is that bigger peice that is on the right (goes into the transfer case) ? What does that do?

If that was bad ? would that cause a humming noise? Also would that cause a popping/jerking while making turns? I just have a automatic 4x4, not awd and that coupling looking thing is on my driveshaft.

Did you swap it out yet?

Nope, ran out of time over the weekend with installing a new aftermarket cat-back exhaust system on the '98 and than replacing a rear brake hose on my '82GT. Along with alot of other work around the house. I'm hoping to tackle it this weekend, but we'll see. Things always seem to come up. I'll keep you guys updated.

Okay...here we go...

I installed the new transfer case on sunday (almost a week ago) Everything went pretty smooth except for a few bolts on the trans crossmember mount to frame. I was able to get everything off without breaking any bolts. It took ALL day to do the job by myself with no lift on a rock driveway. Yes, i'm nuts. Installation went smooth. Cleaned all bolts and reinstalled proper lock tight to the ones that needed. Took for a ride, no binding issues. I do, however have a whine noise starting around 23mph. Now..I must remind you about my front differentail issue a few years back....

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=245359

...I've been driving this vehicle with the front driveshaft discconected for almost a year...My theroy is that I waited too long to get the transfer case issue fixed and driving with the front driveshaft connected too long that it totally screwed up my front differential. I think it was just too much abuse being in FULL AWD all the time for the front dif and it couldent take it anymore. thats why I THINK the seal blew out. It was just too much straign. It is still hard for me to belive that I've had these problems at such low miles (~35k when problems started) I don't think the front diff had issues FIRST causing the Transfer Case to be screwd up...It makes makes more sence the other way around...

Apparently ford does not sell the complete front diff assembly, you can only get PARTS. which i might add are on back order...and also...you need a ton of special tools to do a job like that. So I'm thinking about leaving my front driveshaft discconected in the mean time so I can save up some extra cash for a junkyard front diff assembly. I was quoted around 300 bucks...

I've been driving this vehicle with the front driveshaft discconected for almost a year...My theroy is that I waited too long to get the transfer case issue fixed and driving with the front driveshaft connected too long that it totally screwed up my front differential. I think it was just too much abuse being in FULL AWD all the time for the front dif and it couldent take it anymore. thats why I THINK the seal blew out. It was just too much straign. It is still hard for me to belive that I've had these problems at such low miles (~35k when problems started) I don't think the front diff had issues FIRST causing the Transfer Case to be screwd up...It makes makes more sence the other way around.

From what I have read (and I have not read all of it) it sounds as though you had viscous coupling issues when you bought the truck. You bought it with differing diameter tires on it. This will cause the front and rear axles to turn at differing speeds. The viscous coupling will do its job and will try to correct that. It "monitors" rotational speed differences front/rear using friction/heat. If one output shaft in the transfercase is turning at a different speed from the other it will cause the VC (viscous coupling) to slip, causing heat. The heat will in turn lock the VC, which in turn will lock the front and rear output shafts together so that they WILL turn at the same speed, even if the tires have a different diameter. The VC will lock up tight enough to literally cook the oil in your transfercase, your front and your rear differentials.
Heres what happened to your truck:
1) Bought it with bad tires, had VC issues you were not aware of
2) Drove it the way it was (or previous owner did) for a period of time. This was long enough to literally weld your VC together
3) You replaced tires with same diameter ones, lengthening the time your differentials will last, but t/case is still junk.
4) Drove truck with junk t/case. Every time you turned the wheel you caused excessive heat to build up in the front differential.
5) Somewhere down the line something melted the plastic cap on the front diff vent tube. That act caused the entire front diff to be sealed, heat caused the diff oil to expand, excessive pressure found its way out via your axle seal.
6) You replace t/case.

While replacing your t/case may make you think that your problems are over, they are just beginning. Your whine noise that becomes apparent around 23 miles an hour means that one (or both) of your differentials need to be rebuilt or replaced. That noise is bearing related and (contrary to what some will no doubt post later) just changing your diff oil will not make it all better. Most likely the noise is coming from your pinion shaft bearings, which would make sense since they would take the brunt of the force being applied by a locked VC.
If you are a gambling man and are willing to take a little risk you can go to www.car-part.com and shop for whichever differential is making the noise and just replace it. I would rebuild the one in the truck if it were me though.
How I learned this lesson was not as long and dragged out time-wise as you. I learned it over a span of just a few months. I replaced the front diff, both CV axles, rear axle assembly, all tie rods, upper and lower balljoints on both sides and both hubs, along with losing the AWD t/case and swapping in the BW4406 manual shifting t/case from a F-150. No more issues.
But keep in mind my truck is a second gen, I think the one you are having issues with is a third gen, but the same principals apply.

While replacing your t/case may make you think that your problems are over, they are just beginning. Your whine noise that becomes apparent around 23 miles an hour means that one (or both) of your differentials need to be rebuilt or replaced. That noise is bearing related and (contrary to what some will no doubt post later) just changing your diff oil will not make it all better. Most likely the noise is coming from your pinion shaft bearings, which would make sense since they would take the brunt of the force being applied by a locked VC.
If you are a gambling man and are willing to take a little risk you can go to www.car-part.com and shop for whichever differential is making the noise and just replace it. I would rebuild the one in the truck if it were me though.
How I learned this lesson was not as long and dragged out time-wise as you. I learned it over a span of just a few months. I replaced the front diff, both CV axles, rear axle assembly, all tie rods, upper and lower balljoints on both sides and both hubs, along with losing the AWD t/case and swapping in the BW4406 manual shifting t/case from a F-150. No more issues.
But keep in mind my truck is a second gen, I think the one you are having issues with is a third gen, but the same principals apply.

I am NOT taking the cheap way with this truck by just changing fluid and being done with it, that wasn't even a thought in my mind. I've disconnected the front driveshaft once again (today) and noises from the front differential are gone.

You sugest rebuilding the one I have. I have thought of this but like I said, ALLDATA is telling me I need pages of special service tools to do the job. And I don't want to screw anything up. Also. If I replace select parts. how do I know that no other damage was done to the other internal parts being that I cooked the front end. Like I said before I was thinking about getting a junkyard unit for around 300 bucks.

Yes mine is an '02. First year of the third gen.

Think the truck walked away from me today (front driveshaft removed)
Its been disconnected for a LONG time but today I parked on a VERY very slight incline and went back out to my truck and it seemed a little bit farther away from the curb that I remember parking it. I've parked in this spot before dozens of times.... I mean, I might have parked that way but its not like me to do so.....I'll be sure to leave that ebrake on untill I reconnect the front driveshaft just in case...I had a feeling that only happend with 2nd gen's...

Still trying to save up money for a Junkyard Front Carrier assembly...

I finally saved up enough money to buy my front carrier assembly from the junkyard. $350 with 1 year warenty, Apparently It came out of an '03 Explorer XLT 4.0 with 82K miles. I'm picking up new two new axle seals, lube and RTV tomorow from ford. I did my ALLDATA research before tackling the project. Looks pretty simple! If inside of the diff looks good I'll be installing tomorow morning!!!

I'll keep you guys posted.

Isn't the unit different between the v6 and v8?

Isn't the unit different between the v6 and v8?

Not that I know of. As long as the gear ratios are the same and its the right model (4 door. non sport trac) ext ext....

good, I need the same parts.

All done! Went very smoothly for me. Hardest part was not having a lift and trying to lift the diff assembly up into its three mounting spots while trying to insert the driverside half shaft! but its done! Took her for a quick ride, seems quiet! I'll take it on the highway tomorow!

Just wanted to follow up with you guys, Its been a week since the junkyard install and everything feels like it should!

I'm taking it to STS for a four wheel allignment, balance and rotate tires tomorow. So i picked out every little pebel stone out of my tire treads and cleaned the crap out of the wheels inside and out. Need to stay on top of these tires this time around! haha

Then new ford front brake pads and rotors....

then figure out this darn air bag 33 code light that I can't seem to take care of.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I do a lot more reading on here than anything else and from what I can tell the viscous coupler is a PITA in any application it is used. A buddy of mine has a Subaru WRX and has been through more trans components and axles than I can count and all probs started with the VC...

Back