• Register Today It's free!

Chrome Wheels

Diesel Tom

Reaction score
City, State
Stone Mountain, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Ford Explorer
My son has a 2007 Ford Explorer, Eddie Bauer edition. He has the chrome wheels which are actually a chrome plastic covering over a metal wheel.

Can that chrome plastic cover be purchased separately or must the whole wheel be purchased? Are there any aftermarket sources?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Tom,
Search around in this forum, I know that there has been discussion about this style of OEM rims in the past and the issues with it. To answer your question, no you cannot just get the outer cover on the style that he has you have to get a completely different matching rim from a used parts source and they typically ask a pretty steep price compared to new aftermarket rims.

Tom - are you still looking? I currently have the chrome wheels on my 08 and looking to get new wheels, so, if you are still looking, let me know.

My son's wheels currently look pretty good, but I know they won't look good forever. Just trying to do some homework before he needs new wheels.

I was hoping some industrial soul had come up with an aftermarket set of the chrome/plastic covers.

Not sure if this helps or not....

My stepson bought an Escape, I thought it had two chrome wheels and two alloy wheels until further inspection revealed the chrome was just a plastic cover over alloy wheels. Unfortunately the dealer kept the covers. They look similar and might be the same as Explorer wheels. It might be another option for you to look into

Anyone have a pic of what the wheels look like under the Chrome covers?

Anyone have a pic of what the wheels look like under the Chrome covers?

+1

I have the 18" chrome inserts..... Look at pic i believe they are the same as 17" Eddie bauer wheel.

Ford wheel.jpg

Back