• Register Today It's free!

Cig lighter draining battery?

Dupo

Reaction score
City, State
Allentown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 Explorer
Hey all, im new here and just purchased a '92 Explorer and have a question.

The person i got it from told me the cig lighter was disconnected (pulled the fuse) because the fuse was heating up and after a few days was draining the battery. He said after he pulled the fuse, no problem.

What would make the fuse heat up like that and why would it or the lighter itself drain the battery? I'd like to fix this so i can hook up my satellite radio to the lighter outlet.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

On the Explorer the lighter is always on. So anything you leave plugged in will draw current. If he left something in it that could have drained the battery. I don't see it happening if something was not plugged into the lighter. If so, then it may be a wiring problem.

If there happened to be loose change in the ashtray like a penny. It could have easily fallen down in there and completed the circuit. Of course it probably would have blown the fuse first but ya never know.

I am also a newby to being an Explorer owner. I do not have my 1993 XLT's owner's manual handy for reference. The Haynes manual that came with my daughter's Limited is useless as a reference for that circuit (or fuse sharing). If you have an owner's manual see if something else shares the cigarette lighter circuit. There might be another relay, switch or component tied to that same fuse that is causing the drain on your battery. You might also find some other device that was once attached or is still attached to the cigarette lighter HOT wire up under the dash somewhere, going to something like an old cellphone connector, two-way radio or HAM radio connector or some other item.

I went out today to get a few parts at the local wrecking yards... ...there were Generation 1 Explorers everywhere, but NO LIMITEDS. I did get an owner's manual for my daughter's 1993 Ltd (with the original window sticker from the XLT it came out of) and I also got an owner's manual for a 1994 Explorer. The cigarette lighter CIRCUIT BREAKER shows it is in fuse location # 12 in both years and is shared by the "Flash to Pass" option and the cigarette lighter. It shows it is a 20 amp breaker. I know the headlight switch is involved with the flash to pass feature but I don't know if there is another relay or controller that makes that option work. Perhaps this is what is draining your battery and not the cigarette lighter.

A friend of mine once had a similar issue. The push in element was shorting out everything. He replaced the element, and socket, but I think just replacing the element that gets pushed in would have been enough.

And do make sure nothing is in there.. I found out a dime will fit in there nicely, and I didn't notice it in there at first glance.

~Mark

the flash to pass circuit is its own thing, not headlight related at all, its actually switched with the multi function switch of your turn signal stalk

Mine had this same problem too. I didn't have time to fix it so I pulled the fuse to keep my battery from draining. It turned out that a penny had fallen into the cigarette light. If I was a smoker, I would have noticed it. :)

I love easy fixes.

All is well with the problem. I replaced the entire lighter assembly and put in a brand new fuse. 4 days - no problems.

Thanks everyone.

where is the fuse for the cigarette lighter? under the hood or under the dash?

if under the dash, can you post a pic or diagram of which one please.

Back