• Register Today It's free!

cigarette lighter

davhard

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Louis, Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer
What could I try when pop out cigarette lighter stops working but I can still plug electronic objects into cig. lighter outlet and they work fine. I assume could not be a fuse problem because of this. I purchased a new pop-out cigarette lighter and it would not work either. Any suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like you may need to replace the lighter socket.
They're very inexpensive and easy to change out; two
wires on the back, power and ground.

Disconnect the battery, remove two screws on the
bottom of the bezel and pull/pry straight back on the
bezel to access the lighter plug.

Have you tried plugging both the old and new cigarette lighters into the auxiliary socket mounted on the passenger side near the floor?

If they work, then as member Runnin'OnEmpty suggested, change the socket mounted in the dash.

Thank you for suggestion. Feel like an idiot cause I have had vehicle over 2.5 years and never knew that auxillary outlet was there (behind closed door). I am only one who drove it so never sat in passenger seat. Unfortunately for me, though outlet does work for cell phone charger/spotlight types but does not appear to be wired for cig lighter (tried the new one; nothing to catch on). But thank you for teaching me something about my vehicle I should have known. Guess if I want to use cig lighter, will have to replace that socket. On the bright side, now know I can run auxillary items without having wire hanging near steering column. Appreciate the help and useful info.

Thank you for useful info and helpful instruction. Guess I will have to give it a whirl. Really am grateful for this forum and knowledgeable guys like you and the others that have helped me. You guys RULE.

Nice of you. I now have everything I need to know at my disposal. Did not have that info or manual before. Sound like a broken record but THANK YOU for your aid. This site is filled with real gentlemen and scholars like yourself. Best regards.

A cigarette lighter will not work in the auxillary port. The cigarette lighter port, if you look, has side clips that the cigarette lighter uses to power the heat coil, not the center button. Power adapters use the center button. The auxillary port only has a center button, no side clips. I believe the side clips are damaged on the existing cigarette lighter port, and the port probably needs to be replaced if you want to use the cigarette lighter.

:eek:
Thank you for suggestion. Feel like an idiot cause I have had vehicle over 2.5 years and never knew that auxillary outlet was there (behind closed door). I am only one who drove it so never sat in passenger seat. Unfortunately for me, though outlet does work for cell phone charger/spotlight types but does not appear to be wired for cig lighter (tried the new one; nothing to catch on). But thank you for teaching me something about my vehicle I should have known. Guess if I want to use cig lighter, will have to replace that socket. On the bright side, now know I can run auxillary items without having wire hanging near steering column. Appreciate the help and useful info.

You are correct, the cigarette lighter will not work in the auxiliary socket.
Now you have taught me something,:eek: I was under the impression the sockets were all the same, they are not. The socket in the dash has two locking tabs that hold the lighter in place, the auxiliary socket does not. My lighter works in the dash only. Sorry to mislead you. I only use the auxiliary socket for my GPS and never put a lighter in there.

Edit: Was typing when BustedKnuckles24 posted.

Back