Cigarette lighter wires

FrankMCJR

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer
Police
hello. I am trying to connect a new 12V and usb to my current cigarette lighter and I have mo idea which wires are positive and negative. I have an orange and white and what looks like a purple and white. Please help!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Frank. These are referred to as power points in the Owner's Manual. According to the Manual, there are 4 locations. On the console, inside the console, on the back of the console and in the rear cargo area. Are you looking at the one on the console? I'm not sure if the wiring for all 4 is the same or not. I don't know if there are members that have installed a similar setup.

Peter

hello. I am trying to connect a new 12V and usb to my current cigarette lighter and I have mo idea which wires are positive and negative. I have an orange and white and what looks like a purple and white. Please help!!
Go get a cheap meter and meter voltage to body negative.

In my 2018 wiring diagram, all Power Point negative wires are black with either white or gray stripe.

Any wiring/electrical work requires a meter.

Can you post a picture of what you are working with, most people have a couple plugs in the console/dash area for the 12v plugs. Mine is a 2014 so colors could be different, but here are two of them plugged into my retail console. I'd still recommend confirming which is hot on yours, but in mine the colored wires (Blue w/red stripe on the left plug and Green w/red stripe on the right plug) were the hot wires, maybe the reason for the red stripe. The wires on the right on each plug were the grounds.

You could also steal or extend wires from the 6-way power connector if you need/want always on power for that vs. converting an existing one of those 12v plugs.
plugs-in-console.png

Back