The dreaded Cigarette Lighter issue... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The dreaded Cigarette Lighter issue...

The dash lighter port and right hand power ports are on two separate circuits. Fuse #17 in the dash side panel is supposed to be 25a. I just went through all this on my truck; the dash lighter gave up the ghost and was easily replaced with a Ford-type universal lighter assembly from the local auto parts store. If the lighter happened to damage the plastic dash trim, a quick fix would be to bush it out with a lighter trim ring found in the GM universal lighter kit (this lighter has different electrical connections, though).

Generally speaking, regardless of who or what manufacturer or model vehicle you're looking at, when troubleshooting electrical, the interior fuse box covers individual "convenience" subcircuits; when one of these fuses blows it's a safe bet you have a failed component in that circuit. The under hood box covers major engine-related components or high draw harnesses that feed the smaller panel and failure of one of these fuses will leave you stranded, or protect a major component that would otherwise have you calling for the local Fire Department.

Bill

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thank you for taking the time and effort to reply!

So this old timer has an auto-repair shop open on Sunday, and I used him once before when the brake line popped.

I (go there and) tell him the check engine code tester at Autozone wouldn't work in the plug-in presumably because the cig lighter circuit (fuse) seems blown. Also that the cig lighter WENT INTO the dash for whatever reason.

First minor warning (but unfortunately I am NOT a DIYer and have arthritis and brain cell shortage when it comes to autos (not that anyone cares, lol)-
is he says "we don't use the cigarette lighter approach, our tester is more advanced and does diagnostics as well as check code" and will be $50. yeah okay.

He calls over his worker-bee old-timer with a unit that looks (to me) pretty much like the AutoZone (free) tester. The guy plugs it into same port used at AutoZone starts cursing WTF. I tell them all about the Fuse 17 cig issue and what I read here. With a "you cant believe everything on the Internet" they shrug and say OK we will fix the fuse (I show them a diagram from the OM I printed online). TO BE CONTD:...

First to removing the cig lighter. Forum posts here say 2 simple screws and a tug no big deal. But worker-bee old-timer says gonna be a big job need to remove the radio. I reference what I learned here, get another shrug and comment about the Internet but he does the 2 screw tug (with second tool he used) and Voila he gets the lighter out.

Seems all melted and twisted and the lighter casing-holder seems to have been stripped or depleted in some way. They both say how lucky it is there was no fire. They hand me the assembly and cover it all with electrical tape and stick it thru the hole so its outside the panel. Now to the fuse.

Reluctantly they agree to deal with Fuse 17 and the guy grabs said fuse and with a fair amount of glee holds it up and says This Fuse is fine not blown now what haha (well he snickered)?"

I mention that this forum talked about a second internal panel fuse box or such there may be another one to check. I couldn't really track what they did or found but next thing I know hes asking me what amp. I say I think 20a maybe 25a. He gest a 25a and plugs it in to whatever panel hes found, I think up above the parking brake area, not under it) and says whatever, and plugs it in. WE ALL HEAR A BEEP!

Seems their $50 tester was still plugged in and (with the new fuse) is actively decoding! YAy. 440-something charcoal canister check valve emissions something, to be continued if it reoccurs.

PS DO I leave the wires with the tape hanging indefinitely, I don't smoke. Or would a new cigarette lighter with casing, from Ford or eBay or junk-yard, be helpful to the cause???

THANK YOU FORUM and ALL!

i hate dealing with so called "mechanics". you can't tell them anything, but it's okay for them to talk to you like you're an idiot. if you suggest that maybe they're going about something wrong and they get all insulted and pissey. i guess they're an insecure lot... i think it's outrageous that they wanted $50 just to hook up their code scanner.

it sounds like your lighter's plastic bezel is broken. that being the case a replacement lighter isn't going to help and a new one won't come with any wiring anyway. if, as you say, you never use the lighter, i'd clip the power feed wire and cap it off.

HI Thank you for thoughts and fast reply and suggestion.

I think I will try and post a photo of what it looks like. Im not a cosmetic nut, I don't care about dings and dents and hanging wires (much). AND Since I couldnt begin to safely attempt to "clip a power feed" and "cap it" (other than adding some electrical tape wrapping) nor do I hardly understand the terminology or technology, Id have to get one of those darn-damn mechanics to do it.

Thanks!

THIS is a photo of whats hangin. Everything else I care about seems to be working. Can I just wrap a bunch of electrical tape around this thing, if I don't mind looking at it, and move on with my life without fear of circuit failures, fires, or other consequences of doing this? TY!

W2ixtbQDsWFQ85_ZXbeA2DFY0Mc6D-BbApQ=w117-h207-p-no.jpg

well, i don't see why you couldn't just tape it up. i really doubt there was/is any danger of a fire. that's what the fuses are for and judging by the fact the the fuse did blow, they're doing their job.

Tape each wire up good (no bare metal) stuff it in the hole, and pop a smiley sticker you stole from a Wal Mart greeter over the hole. Done.

Bill

Done! (Well, except the WalMart part! They cut the greeters down here to save moola!)

Thanks folks!!!!

My cig lighter works but my truck is messed up too bad drinks to much fuel burns rich black smoke. New plugs wires,new maf,new oxygen sensors, my odb1 scanner will not hook up says data link connector not responding

My cig lighter works but my truck is messed up too bad drinks to much fuel burns rich black smoke. New plugs wires,new maf,new oxygen sensors, my odb1 scanner will not hook up says data link connector not responding

Check for fuel in the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator. when the regulator goes bad, it dumps fuel like nothing else.

Also, you might want tp post this in the 1st gen sub forum. This is the 2nd gen sub forum and a completely different topic is being discussed in this thread. Good luck

Just
your lighter socket has a positive connection in it's center and the outer case is the negative connection (the ground) which completes the circut. sometimes you can get something metal stuck in the socket and that causes a short and blows the fuse. sometimes the lighter element itself burns out and casues a short when you push it in. it's pretty simple to diagnose what the problem is. just look. no disassembly required.
Look at what

Back