Clarification Needed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clarification Needed

My wife just half purchased a 19 ft aluminum bass boat(with step son), that I have full access to. However I'm not sure I have a suitable set up for towing it.

Any recommendations on mods I need to make to tow this boat:

Tow Vehicle

1995 Explorer 4dr 2wd Limited
4.0 V6
Trans Code = T (4r44e if reading the info on site correctly)
Axle = D4 (limited slip 3.73)
NO FACTORY TOW KIT
145,000 Miles, excellent running condition, complete new front suspension.
Haven't got to rear yet.

Boat Combined Weight Trailer/Boat/Fuel/Equip about 2300 to 2500lbs.

I'm pretty sure I need a Class III frame mounted Hitch, of course trailer wiring hookups, And my guess is a Transmission Cooler, and a brake controller if needed.

I'm still trying to confirm the boat trailer brake type. Praying for electric, but possible surge. Boat is used and shipping from Virginia, of course step son never asked, as he has new F250.

My concern is I may overtax the tranny/rear end, and I've read that the truck is prone to sway issues. I'm also not sure if I want to tow this boat if she does have surge brakes.

Thanks for any suggestions

You shouldn't have issues towing that boat with or without brakes, I'd bet the brakes are surge, I've never seen a boat trailer with electric brakes- just don't work well being submerged. Trans cooler can't hurt, add a hitch and you will be fine. Boats don't make for much wind resistance, so they are easier to tow.

Sounds like you're on the right track. With 3.73 gearing, you should feel good towing 2500 lbs and a little bit of gear. Check your owner's manual. You should be able to find your actual MAX tow rating (probably 3500) and a GCVWR (combined rating...probably around 7500-8000).

Check your owner's manual. You should be able to find your actual MAX (GVWR) tow rating (probably 3500) and a GCVWR (combined rating...probably around 7500-8000).

That information should also be on the door tag in the driver's door jamb.

Thanks everyone,

You confirmed what I thought, but just wanted to make sure before I tow this boat around. Have already ordered the hitch reciever, trans cooler, and decided to upgrade rear shocks and spring (saggy butt prevention)

Thanks

Back