final clarification needed please?! | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

final clarification needed please?!

(first of all, I'm getting 31x10.5x15 tires and 15x8 wheel)

I'm constantly running into conflicting articles about wheel offset and backspacing. Without getting the typical (3.75 backspacing is what you need) lecture. Can somebody clear things up for me? First I've read backspacing and offset is basically the same. I seen the rock crawler wheels on Summit that say 3.75 backspacing and offset -19mm. But then I seen some other wheels with some far off backspacing and offset was -19mm.
So does this mean, a wheel with the correct lug pattern, size, etc.. with a -19mm will fit the same as one with 3.75 backspacing?

Also, would a 3.5 backspacing wheel fit without as much trouble as a 3.25? :confused: :confused: :confused:

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
a 3.75 is the best fit for the explorer, it minimizes rub as much as possible...

<

unclemeat

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Richmond, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport
Backspacing is the measure from the back side of the wheel to the hub of the wheel. Offset is the measure from the centerline of the wheel to the hub of the wheel. On an 8-inch wheel 3.75-inch backspacing is the same as a negative 0.25-inch (-6mm). 4" backspacing = 0 offset.

<

wolfsport

Reaction score
City, State
College Station, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Sport XLT
This is what I mean by confusion... LOL... As stated, the US Wheels black wheel that people from here seem to buy from Summit, says the backspacing is 3.75 but under that it says Offset is -19mm... That is where I'm lost, so basically you're saying that a -19mm will NOT fit properly on my Exploder using 31 inch tires?

<

xxScapegoat

Reaction score
City, State
Hesperia/Victorville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLS
<

<

xxScapegoat

Reaction score
City, State
Hesperia/Victorville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 XLS
i dont think that link is right =|

<

<

DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
As already stated backspacing and offset are not the same. Here is a diagram of a rim's anatomy.
18205backspacing.jpg

Here is a chart showing a stock tire/wheel vs an 33x12.5 tire on 8" and 10" rims. As you can see the 8" rim locates the tire in a position closest to OEM. This positon mimimizes clearance problems and the need for more extensive trimming.
18205Tires2-med.jpg

<

<

tgertz77

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4x4
your putting too much thought into it...

start with a stock size 15x7 wheel with 4.5" BS.

Ok, you want a wheel that is one inch wider, so you want the BS to be near 1" lower than 4.5"... 3.75" is .75" lower, which is very close, which means your new wheel will only go into the wheel well .25" further.

If you know what the backspacing is, then you dont really need ot know the off-set.

Also, you said that you see alot of people here buy those wheels, so you KNOW they fit, it shouldnt take second thought.

<

<

<

chriswells78

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Powell(Columbus), OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
Subscribin so I can find this easier next time.

<