Class II hitch block off plate ideas? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Class II hitch block off plate ideas?

Allstar54

Reaction score
City, State
Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT
I ordered a class II aftermarket hitch to mount below my current class II. I agree, it looks goofy, but my class II is welded on and I really don't want to mess with finding a Ford replacement class III and paying for the welding work. Based on recommendations from other posts, removing the class II and installing the aftermarket is a bad idea because I would lose bumper and frame support. So I am wondering if anyone has tried to cover the old class II with some sort of filler plate that would match the bumper color and be hard to notice. Anyone have any experience or ideas? I'm not sure how to mount a plate, maybe into the hitch receiver?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't see what the issue would be if you cut off the old one and bolted an OEM hitch in it's place since our hitches are supposed to be bolted on in the first place.

Yeah, it is a bolt on design but a previous owner must have had it welded. There are welds on the top and bottom where the hitch bolt plate hits the side frame. I don't see any damage to the hitch bar or the frame, so I am not sure what the reason. My problem isn't cutting it out, it is timing. I am in a pretty rural area and none of the junkyards around here have a class III and I wanted to be set up sooner rather than wait for something to show up. I guess the class II were more common. $500+ for OEM from Ford is not worth the slightly awkward look of the aftermarket (for me, I'm cheap).

That bumper shield is pretty close to what I was thinking. Probably wouldn't fit above the other hitch receiver, but it gives me an idea. I am sure I could fabricate something similar. Thanks.

But you can order a factory class III hitch from a junk yard for $150 or less with shipping included.

And why do you need the class III, It's only useful if you have a 3.73 gearing

I want the 2" receiver. I have a cargo hitch platform, a bike rack, and multiple receivers that I would like to continue to use and I have had bad experience with adapters. I work in the fisheries field and purchase, modify and tow boats for a living, and am more comfortable with the 2" regardless of towing capacity and gearing.

I installed the Curt hitch last night and it is crooked. Drops over 1/4" from right to left. I tried a bunch of things to level it out, but the mounting holes only offer very little adjustment. I may not have noticed if it wasn't for the original hitch making it obvious it wasn't square. So I am going to see if they will take it back. It may encourage me to look a little harder for the OEM 2". I have called a bunch of junkyards in my area (there are not that many). Any suggestions for junkyards that will ship like Triton said?

I want the 2" receiver. I have a cargo hitch platform, a bike rack, and multiple receivers that I would like to continue to use and I have had bad experience with adapters. I work in the fisheries field and purchase, modify and tow boats for a living, and am more comfortable with the 2" regardless of towing capacity and gearing.

I installed the Curt hitch last night and it is crooked. Drops over 1/4" from right to left. I tried a bunch of things to level it out, but the mounting holes only offer very little adjustment. I may not have noticed if it wasn't for the original hitch making it obvious it wasn't square. So I am going to see if they will take it back. It may encourage me to look a little harder for the OEM 2". I have called a bunch of junkyards in my area (there are not that many). Any suggestions for junkyards that will ship like Triton said?
If its only 1/4 of an inch off, why not modify the holes or use a shim?

I bet your factory hitch is bolted on, You are seeing the plates that are welded to the frame, The hitch slides into them & then bolts on.

Do like I did & just get a Genuine Ford factory hitch & replace it. Otherwise it will look goofy & sit a few inches lower. I got my class III factory hitch for $100 bucks & it took 30 minutes to swap them out. It's a piece of cake.

Tried to shim but the bolts are attached from the top and side, so there isn't enough room to make the adjustment. Don't really want to open up the holes because it could allow for shifting when towing. They are shipping me a new one. I like the idea of replacing with the OEM, but I'm already purchased the hitch I have and am locked in plus the other reasons I stated in OP. It's welded for sure (not by the factory). Soooo. My thread was about a blockoff plate idea. I think I have a plan and will post pics if it turns out good.

Another PERFRECT example of how if you would just ASK the question you want SOLVED and not tell the story, you would save yourself tons of time and head ache...

You have a 1 1/4" small hitch you need a 2" opening... $30 every autozone, advanced, o'riielly auto.. every day...

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-1-4-quarter-inch-to-2-inch-hitch-adapter-65023.html

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-4-2-Tow...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4d0026011c

Use mine with my Subaru OE hitch and my 2" game rack and bike rack all the time.

Rob

Maybe if you would slow down to read the OP's posts and not be a smartass, you would have learned this:

1. The OP has had bad experiences with adapters
2. He works in the fisheries industry and has to haul boats sometimes.

I also work in the marine industry and no way in hell would I ever use and adaptor to haul one of my boats. Regardless of size.

:hammer:

honestly totally skimmed the post and missed this...

I'ma thriple ass tonight.

Rob

Just an update to show you all what I ended up doing.

First I cut the old hitch flush and ground it down flush.

T1.jpg

Installed the aftermarket hitch.

T2.jpg

I bought some diamond plated aluminum and bent it at a 90 degree and cut it down to size.

T3.jpg

I was able to slide the aluminum plate behind the bumper and in front of the frame with the angled piece between the frame and the new hitch.

T4.jpg

Once I got everything square I put two screws in to hold the piece in place, taped and painted. I wanted to paint before I put the piece in, but I was worried I would scratch the paint because it was a tight fit. Here is the finished product.

T5.jpg

I think it turned out pretty good and is not too noticeable. Definitely better than having both hitches showing.

Good job on the hiding of the old hitch Allstar, I like the way that looks. I got lucky and my Ex came with the Class 3, but I have seen a few with both hitches sticking out back there and to say it looks "wrong" is an understatement

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back