04 Explorer 4x4 with Class II hitch | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer 4x4 with Class II hitch

We bought a 2004 Ford Explorer V8 Limited which came with the OEM Class II hitch. Which seems odd to me given the towing capacity of the 4x4. Wouldn't you expect a Class III hitch?

We are towing a small sailboat with trailer the weight is < 2000 lbs so Class II is sufficient. I'm just wondering why; does that let you avoid putting in the oil cooler/radiator upgrades?

Other than turning off overdrive (and using 4x4 LOW on the boat ramp) any towing tips? Just bought the vehicle last week and going camping/sailing this weekend. Not new to towing just the first time towing with 4x4.

philip

Has to do with the rear differential. Should be more than okay with the weight you listed.

3rd generation 2002-2005 Explorer V6 and V8 came standard with 3.55 axle gearing and a 5-speed transmission. Either engine is limited to 3500 lbs max loaded trailer weight.

Add the factory towing package, and you got certain cooling upgrades, but most importantly, axle ratio change to 3.73. V6 rating went to around 5200, and V8 went up over 7000 (depending on other factors).

4th generation 2006-2010 Explorer with the V6 remained the same as the 3rd generation as far as drivetrain and tow ratings.

But the 4th gen 2006-2010 with the V8 was different. It came standard with a 6-speed trans. The extra tall 1st gear eliminated the need for axle gearing change. So, with or without the factory tow package, it stuck with the 3.55 gearing. Technically, without the tow package, it was stuck at 3500 like the V6. But it was much easier to add the bits yourself to make it a Class III/IV vehicle, since changing axle parts was not necessary.

For your sailboat, no problem. Enjoy. But I would not push beyond 3500 lbs due to the gearing.

Thank you for the enhanced explanation, I really appreciate it. Helps me better understand whats going on. -philip

Back