• Register Today It's free!

Welded on Class II hitch

browns1964

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'07 Sporttrac
Hey folks, need some help. Bought a 23' dual axle travel trailer (3300 lbs) to replace a pop-up camper. Current class II hitch is welded to the rear of the frame rails. New trailer has larger hitch ball. Dealer was going to install Class III hitch but since the old one is welded on how do I proceed? V6 Auto engine/tranny.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...a grinder is the first thing and only thing that springs to my mind.
Good luck.

The aftermarket Class III mount below the factory Class II. So you will have 2 hitches.

The aftermarket Class III mount below the factory Class II. So you will have 2 hitches.

And it's going to hang real low too. Seen one on a regular Explorer once.
Two options:
Order the Class III crossmember and hitch from Ford and replace the old one. Cost +/- $1000.
Cut off only the Class II hitch and find someone who can weld really good. Cost a Benjamin or two, or maybe just a case of beer depending on who you know. The problem you may run into is that a welder may not want the liability these days.

I am facing this issue now, plan to have a welder flame cut out the 1 1/4" receiver and weld in a Curt 49060 6" long Class III weld on 2" receiver.
Class II Hitch Front Cut.jpg

Class II Hitch Rear Cut.jpg

Curt 49060 Weld On.jpg

Back