• Register Today It's free!

clicking cd player

Htown451

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 sport
so every time i try to insert a cd into the player it starts making this weird clicking/ticking noise and spits the cd half way out before taking it back in about 3 times than it comes out all the way

if i keep at inserting the cd it will eventually play
any ideas or suggestions?

i have a 01'sport

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

so every time i try to insert a cd into the player it starts making this weird clicking/ticking noise and spits the cd half way out before taking it back in about 3 times than it comes out all the way

if i keep at inserting the cd it will eventually play
any ideas or suggestions?

i have a 01'sport
*************************************************************************************
I have the same problem both with the original radio and the with another replacement from another Explorer. The problem is common. Somewhere in Explorer forums there is a fix. Let me know if you found it. It has to do with cleaning a ribbon conector.

Mine does it cd tape combo
Love to fix it

C'mon people, doesn't anyone have a solution.

It doesn't eject every time. After a day or 2 delay it will accept a CD. So it takes about a week to hear 6 CDs.
It's somehow time dependent and doesn't seem to depend on the temperature. What else in the computer be controlling or interfering with CD controls?

CD, radio, Mach, computer, electronics, music, book

The cd player in mine only works if I let the truck sit in the sun and get the interior hot inside, then it works, other than that I get "no cd" on the radio display and can only listen to the radio. It has to get friggin HOT inside for it to start playing, stupid thing,.. LOL

@field

OK - short and sweet ;)

Ebay...

Here's the deal; The FORD factory radios are built like LEGO's.

As long as you find a used one on Ebay, that IS THE SAME MODEL AS YOURS and is guaranteed to work,and they accept returns, don't worry about how it looks, buy it!

Go for the low price leader w/ a good reputation - here's why.

If by chance the "control face" looks bad on the low-price Ebay offering, you can swap your "clean" control face on to the Ebay offering and you're good to go.

The control face attaches to the body with a couple of screws, and clips into the body like computer memory/RAM into a computer.

That was my experience & hope that helps!

You can always spray wd 40 in there and see if it helps (Don't actually do this)

Thank you all.
I'll try keeping the CD player hot. Up till now the only thing that's worked is waiting, usually a day but sometines it takes more. Or sometimes skipping to a new book works. I listen to books on CDs.

I have 2 identical MACH radios and have changed their faces, Thy both respond the same way.

Field

@field

Just to clarify - changing faces is just a cosmetic "cure" when buying a guaranteed/returns accepted BUT 'worn buttons / scratched face" FORD OEM radio/cd player off of an Ebay seller.

With that said, when my 1st MACH died, it exhibited the same problems your's are experiencing.

Sometimes it would work, most times it tried to read the CD/MP3, made some clicking/ attempting to track noises, then eventually it spit out the disc.

Probably has to do with the laser going out of alignment due to the harsh nature of being in a truck OR the laser wearing out/losing power so it has a hard time reading the reflection off the disc.

Quite often I listen to multiple podcasts burned on to CD/RW's , burned in MP3 format when I'm running errands on the weekend.

Eject disc, disc comes out & goes back in. Eject disc, disc comes out & goes back in.
Eject disc, disc comes out & I grab it with my fingers.
Then the eject motor keeps running, can't insert new disc. Turn off radio and turn it on again.
Insert disc. Problem finally solved.
Oh boy, this CD player, I want to smash it with a hammer. :hammer:
(Still love my explorer)

Back