• Register Today It's free!

clicking noise at idle

kentb

Reaction score
City, State
Las Vegas, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport
my 2000 explorer SOHC is making a clicking noise at idle, it speeds up when you rev it, but you won't be able to hear the clicking at higher rpms(maybe about 1k rpm and above).

do you guys have any idea what causes it? it has been doing the clicking noise for a long time now(about a year maybe).

the clicking noise is coming from the hood

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 2000 explorer SOHC is making a clicking noise at idle, it speeds up when you rev it, but you won't be able to hear the clicking at higher rpms(maybe about 1k rpm and above).

do you guys have any idea what causes it? it has been doing the clicking noise for a long time now(about a year maybe).

the clicking noise is coming from the hood

pop the hood and listen towards to the front of the engine... check the parts running off of the fan belt first... they would be the easiest to diagnose. the tensioner pulley for my 2000 Sport SOHC fan belt squeaks on cold start pretty regularly. also, if it's just a very quiet mild ticking, there may not be anything wrong at all. in my experience these motors dont idle perfectly quietly as they get older. i think the valvetrain on these motors is kinda noisy... even when it's in perfect working order.

Turn your heater/ air conditioning to off and see if it stops. I had that problem and I was told it was something to do with the air conditioner. They told me the compressor makes that noise. When the defroster was on it would still intermitently click.

Turn your heater/ air conditioning to off and see if it stops. I had that problem and I was told it was something to do with the air conditioner. They told me the compressor makes that noise. When the defroster was on it would still intermitently click.

it makes the noise even with the AC/Heater off.

Start your motor and watch the air conditioning compressor. When it clicks look and see if the clutch moves?

Timing chain rattle? I have a 2000 SOHC and thats what the noise was on mine

Timing chain rattle? I have a 2000 SOHC and thats what the noise was on mine

ive been reading stuff about timing chain rattle on the forums and they keep on saying about noise from 2k-3krpm, but like i said i'm experiencing it during idle.

if its the timing chain, is that something to worry about?

thanks!

I just got a 2001 Explorer, and the other day when it was idling, I heard a ticking under the hood. I thought oh crap the engine is ticking. But as I got under the hood and looked carefully (and it took me a few minutes to see what is really was), I realized it was the idler pulley arm making the clicking noise. As I watched it, I could see the idlr arm jerk a bit, almost randomly, and it was making the clicking noise. I'm not sure if that means the spring is bad and the idler arm needs replaced, but it's something for you to check. I was relieved that it wasn't the motor!

I just got a 2001 Explorer, and the other day when it was idling, I heard a ticking under the hood. I thought oh crap the engine is ticking. But as I got under the hood and looked carefully (and it took me a few minutes to see what is really was), I realized it was the idler pulley arm making the clicking noise. As I watched it, I could see the idlr arm jerk a bit, almost randomly, and it was making the clicking noise. I'm not sure if that means the spring is bad and the idler arm needs replaced, but it's something for you to check. I was relieved that it wasn't the motor!

where is the idler pulley located? is it near the tensioner?

It is the belt tensioner. Sorry, for some reason the term escaped me when I was describing it..lol. But there's like a mark made into the tensioner arm where it connects to the block, I can see it jump every time it makes the clicking noise.

It is the belt tensioner. Sorry, for some reason the term escaped me when I was describing it..lol. But there's like a mark made into the tensioner arm where it connects to the block, I can see it jump every time it makes the clicking noise.

thanks, ill check if that's the source of the noise

Same here in my 2001 Sport Trac, Is there a problem with the clicking that could be fixed? Maybe a higher idle RPM?

mine does the same I was worried it was my timing chain tensioners but it was the A/C compressor to it will make a click when the clutch engages but when it the A/C or or defrosters are of it still makes little clicking sounds proly just getting worn out my truck is still going strong tho for being 20 years old and with 253,000 miles on it and still hauls ass getting on the freeway :burnout:

My 1998 SOHC has the timing chain rattle, and it's actually the worst at idle and it calms down at higher speeds. (At least I think it's the timing chain...) But yeah, so it might be that, but I hear it's not too much of a problem until it starts to get loud.

Back