Clicking sound slow speed/right turns. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clicking sound slow speed/right turns.

GreenEyez

Reaction score
City, State
East Rockaway, NewYork
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
I've been having this clicking/snapping sound for a long time on the right side of my vehicle. It happens when I am going very slow and recently when I start making right turns. I have been doing some research I think it may be the cv joint?? I'm not very sure as I have no mechanical know how whats so ever. I'm going to climb under the truck tomorrow and have a look to see if I see a torn boot. Would anyone with possibly a little more know how chime in and tell me what else I should be looking for? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Defiantly a CV joint good luck

I had the x in the driveway and the boots don't look torn like when I look them up on the internet. This problem has been driving me insane I'm not looking forward to bringing it into the mechanics to find out what is wrong.

Is the noise coming from the rear of the vehicle?

Reminds me on the hot summer 2008. We spent some days at the coast. The day when we arrived after 250 mls I did a sharp turn right and something in the rear started to click and snap. On normal turns the rear is quiet. It only occours after some miles of driving so I'd say it is temperature related.

But... I had heard this sound before, from my '82 Corvette. Both vehilces have a similar design of the limited slip differential, especially when it comes to the clutch plates.

So I tried to prevent sharp turns for the next days. Back at home I changed the rear axle fluid (syn 85W/140) and added one little bottle (4 oz) friction modifier. Noise was quieter after this but still present.

Ford TSB suggests to rebuild the rear axle then.... but GM TSB suggests do add another 4oz f friction modifier. So I did. Axle is quiet now.

Hope this may help you.

The problem is it is present mostly when I slow down....slowly in a straight line it only happens on this long right turn by my house. I also think I have 3.55 open diffs

edit... I guess I should check my vin I might have LS but I thought 3.55's only came in open set up... and I seem to get stuck pretty easy.

Back