Clicking sounds in 91 4.0

RocketCityExpie

Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT 4Dr
Hello, new to this forum.

I have a 91 XLT 4 door 2WD with 4.0 OHV and Auto trans. The truck makes a horrible clicking sound when the engine is running. It sounds as if a piece of metal is being thrown around whereever it maybe. My father thinks its a collapsec lifter, I think it sounds like it's in the bellhousing. Without hearing the sound, what do you all think is the culprit?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the sound there all the time ie: at idle etc or just when you give it gas like passing, going up a hill?

All the time, at idle, on acceleration, in starting. Needless to say it was only driven once with the sound, but it was pervasive during that drive.

List of possibilities besides collapsed lifter:
connecting rod bearings
piston pin/hole
timing chain
water pump
pushrod/rocker arm

The pushrods are known to be a problem in the OHV's. Try to locate the source of the noise at idle.

It could be a loose torque converter if the sound is in the bell housing.

Good one Redrig. Never thought of that.

Will look in to these when I get the chance. It's not here. I had to leave it at my father's house as I live in an apartment.

if a bolt is loose on the torque converter it may hit th spacer plate and cause a ticking every time the bolt goes around.

Back