Climate Control System Works Intermittently on 2015 Ford Explorer PIU! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Climate Control System Works Intermittently on 2015 Ford Explorer PIU!

Post number 18 has been selected as best answered.

Jacqueline13

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Calgary/Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer PIU
Hi, this is my first topic.

I'm experiencing a frustrating issue with my 2015 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility HVAC Climate Control System.
During my modifications, everything suddenly froze. I've been having issues with the climate control system for around 3 months, which works intermittently. When I turn it on, it works for just 5 minutes and then stops by itself, and then a few minutes later starts working again by itself, I tried many approaches and conducted extensive research, but it was hard to find a solution to the problem.Because it was during my modifications, at the time I changed modules, I got confused and it's hard to pinpoint exactly what's causing the issue. I'm being honest, I hope no one else experiences this problem- it's too complicated for me to deal with. I'm sure you guys will find this so easy.

today I noticed something strange, on Forscan says - (Ford Explorer TIVCT 3.7L 2015) BUT on PCM Module configuration,
AWD Active Torque Coupling Barcode it's says this '' BCDF " Is this correct?

I think that following issues are causing the problems:
Blend Door Actuator For actuator, I'm not very sure because, First I'm not hearing any noise. Second, everything works perfectly.
Invalid Data on IPC For IPC, I remember changed dara as-built for remote starter.
What codes I had HVAC- U0165:00-08 / B1379: 11-08 / B10B7:14-08 / B1B7D:14-08
Today, after reset None
ACM codes B1A89:13-0A / U0100:00-48

Now I have different modules.
and I have some extra on the side

- I have 2 extra parts HVAC A/C Control Modules.
- 3 extra Climate Control Panel BEZEL.
- 2 extra Instrument cluster, all for Ford Explorer.
- 3 Blend Door Actuator.

(Here's what I've done!)
- Returned all modules to OEM
- Downloaded Module Build Data As-built
- Load the as-built data.
"It didn't solve the problem."
Feel free to ask.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi, this is my first topic.

I'm experiencing a frustrating issue with my 2015 Ford Explorer Police Interceptor Utility HVAC Climate Control System.
During my modifications, everything suddenly froze. I've been having issues with the climate control system for around 3 months, which works intermittently. When I turn it on, it works for just 5 minutes and then stops by itself, and then a few minutes later starts working again by itself, I tried many approaches and conducted extensive research, but it was hard to find a solution to the problem.Because it was during my modifications, at the time I changed modules, I got confused and it's hard to pinpoint exactly what's causing the issue. I'm being honest, I hope no one else experiences this problem- it's too complicated for me to deal with. I'm sure you guys will find this so easy.

today I noticed something strange, on Forscan profile- Ford Explorer TiVCT 3.7L 2015, BUT on PCM Module configuration,
AWD Active Torque Coupling Barcode '' BCDF" ???
What is this? and why? I don't have any a idea.

On my mind are!
Blend Door Actuator For actuator, I'm not very sure because, First I'm not hearing any noise. Second, everything works perfectly.
Invalid Data on IPC For IPC, I remember changed dara as-built for remote starter.
What codes I had HVAC- U0165:00-08 / B1379: 11-08 / B10B7:14-08 / B1B7D:14-08
Today, after reset None
ACM codes B1A89:13-0A / U0100:00-48

Thank you, I appreciate any help.
Feel free to ask.
For starters, only because I freaked out with some issues as well and it was a simple fix (example my 13 explorer turned into an hybrid somehow 🤷), but if you didn't make a backup of your data, I would download, write, and save the as built for your vehicle and see if that fixes your issues.

Then make one change at a time time while making backups so you if you do mess up, you do not have to start all over again.

For starters, only because I freaked out with some issues as well and it was a simple fix (example my 13 explorer turned into an hybrid somehow 🤷), but if you didn't make a backup of your data, I would download, write, and save the as built for your vehicle and see if that fixes your issues.

Then make one change at a time time while making backups so you if you do mess up, you do not have to start all over again.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate this!

I've done this before, but I think I did something wrong, and I'm thinking of doing it again.

I'm so exhausted that I forgot to write that. I've been through hardships, but I'm not thinking of giving up.

Here's what I've done!

Do you think I need to do it again?

- 3 Blend Door Actuator.

Please just tell me which way is the right one to take. Thank you.

Thank you for your help, I appreciate this!

I've done this before, but I think I did something wrong, and I'm thinking of doing it again.

I'm so exhausted that I forgot to write that. I've been through hardships, but I'm not thinking of giving up.

Here's what I've done!

Do you think I need to do it again?

- 3 Blend Door Actuator.

Please just tell me which way is the right one to take. Thank you.
All the modules you replaced are PIU modules, correct? I don't mict much about the PIU, but I would think that you would need to use PIU modules. If at all possible, I would verify that the modules that you have replaced are PIU and will will for your vehicle.

And when in doubt, start from the cause. If you don't know where you went wrong or what when wrong, I would put everything that you originally pulled out, clear all codes, load all as builds for those modules, then run the truck for a day. When you have the first issue, read the code. Post the code(s) here and see what others can come with.

As for shutting off, does the system switch off? I know it sounds obvious, but sometimes it's this that is always overlooked..... What about a relay? Could a relay be going bad, heating up and tripping off, this causing the system to lose power and cycle off? Or a self resetting circuit breaker.

All the modules you replaced are PIU modules, correct? I don't mict much about the PIU, but I would think that you would need to use PIU modules. If at all possible, I would verify that the modules that you have replaced are PIU and will will for your vehicle.

And when in doubt, start from the cause. If you don't know where you went wrong or what when wrong, I would put everything that you originally pulled out, clear all codes, load all as builds for those modules, then run the truck for a day. When you have the first issue, read the code. Post the code(s) here and see what others can come with.

As for shutting off, does the system switch off? I know it sounds obvious, but sometimes it's this that is always overlooked..... What about a relay? Could a relay be going bad, heating up and tripping off, this causing the system to lose power and cycle off? Or a self resetting circuit breaker

(All the modules you replaced are PIU modules, correct?)
Yes, i believe. everywhere i see the PIU these are same modules.
(I would put everything that you originally pulled out, clear all codes, load all as builds for those modules, then run the truck for a day)
I did, and I had it for a week. But if that solve my problem, OF COURSE, I'll do adain, easy!
Q; May I share a screenshot here for my Forscan?
Thank you.

(All the modules you replaced are PIU modules, correct?)
Yes, i believe. everywhere i see the PIU these are same modules.
(I would put everything that you originally pulled out, clear all codes, load all as builds for those modules, then run the truck for a day)
I did, and I had it for a week. But if that solve my problem, OF COURSE, I'll do adain, easy!
Q; May I share a screenshot here for my Forscan?
Thank you.
By all means post what you see in FORscan... But so you know, I do not have a PIU, so I am flying blind when it comes to the settings. That is why I am saying load the as builds into the original modules.

I am saying load the as builds into the original modules.

What it happened, when I returned all the OEM for PIU, I had this codes,"PCM
P1464:00 P0480-Fan 1 Control Circuit" there I thought was this the problem, then, I fix it was just relay. I thought, good I'm done now. I installed the modules for Ford Explorer, but again I had same problem.

(GPSM) I have DB5T-19H464-AD and BB5T-19H464-AE On the screenshot, I never had this part. Very strange!

Screenshot (839).png

Attachments

• Codes 2024-05-24.txt
    4.4 KB · Views: 11

Right now, I'm doing:

Step 1:
- Saving all module data in Forscan.

Step 2:
I removed the following modules from the Ford Explorer:
- Sync3 APIM
(Audio and Navigation Module)
- Bezel control system 8"
- HVAC
- Radio/CD player
- Instrument cluster

Step 3:

I installed the OEM-(PIU) modules, but now I need to double-check which ones are the correct GPS and HVAC modules, as I have multiple units and I've gotten them mixed up.

What it happened, when I returned all the OEM for PIU, I had this codes,"PCM
P1464:00 P0480-Fan 1 Control Circuit" there I thought was this the problem, then, I fix it was just relay. I thought, good I'm done now. I installed the modules for Ford Explorer, but again I had same problem.

(GPSM) I have DB5T-19H464-AD and BB5T-19H464-AE On the screenshot, I never had this part. Very strange!

View attachment 452817

Step 3:

I installed the OEM-(PIU) modules, but now I need to double-check which ones are the correct GPS and HVAC modules, as I have multiple units and I've gotten them mixed up.
After installing all the OEM-PIU Modules, I hear a sound when the cabin lights are switching on or off, which I think is a good sign that I'm on the right track. 🙏🙏🙏🙏

After installing all the OEM-PIU Modules, I hear a sound when the cabin lights are switching on or off, which I think is a good sign that I'm on the right track. 🙏🙏🙏🙏
Screenshot (868).png
Screenshot (867).png
Screenshot (860).png
Screenshot (861).png

Attachments

• Log..txt
    21.1 KB · Views: 8

"I still don't have a functioning climate control system, and I haven't yet solved my problem using your guide. However, you can't imagine how happy I am now! I'm confident I'm on the right track and very close to resolving my issue thanks to your guidance. I've been struggling with this problem for over three months, and I turned to Serious Explorations with my first post, and I'm now tantalizingly close to a solution. 'Thank you' seems inadequate to express my appreciation."

Sorry I haven't been on, but sounds like you made some progress. Hope you get it up and working.

Sorry I haven't been on, but sounds like you made some progress. Hope you get it up and working.
"Yes, I'm so close by your guidance and opinion."

"You don't need to apologize; I wrote everything in detail so that I could remember and prevent errors."

"Yes, I'm so close by your guidance and opinion."

"You don't need to apologize; I wrote everything in detail so that I could remember and prevent errors."
Do you have any idea what's causing the problem? Believe me, it's starting to look like a quiz.

Since yesterday I'm searching on Google. Maybe I have an issue with the PCM.
I've been hearing a very light noise for a long time now.
-Poor fuel economy, I have this problem too. Wow!!!

All great answers, but number 4 takes the win!!​

Thank you so much 🤝 Nice to meet you!!​

Since yesterday I'm searching on Google. Maybe I have an issue with the PCM.
I've been hearing a very light noise for a long time now.
-Poor fuel economy, I have this problem too. Wow!!!
That's why I said to put what you took out back in and start all over. Clear all codes out. As soon as you have one issue or light, scan and see what that code is. Leaving codes in and running for a day or so can cause multiple codes to come up and lead you in a different direction than what is actually wrong.

That's why I said to put what you took out back in and start all over. Clear all codes out. As soon as you have one issue or light, scan and see what that code is. Leaving codes in and running for a day or so can cause multiple codes to come up and lead you in a different direction than what is actually wrong.

I did everything that you suggested.

1- I start over from the beginning.​

2- I put back the OEM PIU original modules and loaded the As-built data.​

3- I deleted codes.​

4- I scanned codes. I shared the codes;​

everything is here.​

I have the OEM PIU original.​

I've noticed an error in the PCM As-built data on Forscan, and I can't understand what's happening.​

Now, how can I start with something, that I'm not sure exactly?​

OK I'm saying!​

"The PCM is the problem."​

I ask myself, What I should do with it?​

Should I've to clean it with warm water and soap or bleach? :banghead:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

"Can cause multiple codes to come up and lead you in a different direction than what is actually wrong."​

Brother!! everything you're saying here is exactly what happened
before, and I hope it doesn't happen again!

"Misleading information led me in the wrong direction" - When multiple codes were displayed, it confused me and led me down a rabbit hole of unnecessary problems at this repair shop.

"It's like following a misleading path; I wasted time and resources on
secondary symptoms instead of addressing the primary issue."

Back