• Register Today It's free!

Climate Control Troubleshooting

hawkk72

Reaction score
City, State
Greensboro NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
On my 1999 Eddie Bauer I have replaced the blend door actuator (new part) and the climate control unit (used, supposed to be 100% operational). Still no response from the actuator. Also, air just coming out defrost vents. I found an unconnected vac line under the hood which led directly to the vacuum resevoir but after connecting it there was no change. Checked the resevoir and other vacuum line and all seemed to be connected and leak free. My question: Could all of these problems be symptomatic of a bad climate control unit? How can the unit be checked for correct operation? I understand there are "pin" tests to do but I have no idea where to get the right information on exactly how to do this. By the way I tested the controller for error codes and saw 024 and 025 which are blend door actuator codes. I am forced to try and correct my vehicle problems myself as I was recently notified that my job would soon be eliminated. I would appreciate all the help you can give.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You know, I hate to say this to you, but you really do need to get your hands on a manual. There are so many tests that need to be looked at. To answer your question though...yes...most your problems can be a cause of the head unit. But my first question is...what color of head unit did you get for a replacement? My 99 has a beige unit. My 95 a red one. There are other colors. You need to replace with the correct color. Just look at the back of the head unit. It will have the color you are looking for, plus a sticker usually says.

Your air out the defroster could still be vacuum or a vacuum motor. Tests need to be done. Again, a manual will really help you with this. Is there any way you can get your hands on one?

ATC head units have a self test mode. Have you done one? Did you just plug in your new actuator and see if it moves during the test (without installing the actuator so you can watch and see if it moves)

Are you absolutely certain you got an actuator for ATC and not manual a/c? I got a Dorman unit that was boxed wrong. The price difference isn't that much...get a Ford.

Hey Cobra,
Here's what I know. The replacement head unit has the beige sticker, which is what was already in the vehicle. I didn't know that made a difference so if the unit would have worked I would have just been extemely fortunate. I did have the actuator out after installing the new head unit so I could see if it was working and also to get it into the correct position. It is indeed a Ford ATC unit. I did run the diagnostic test on the head unit which gave me the 024 and 025 codes. Is there another diagnostic I can do without a manual? By the way I have no idea where to get one unless auto parts stores carry them. By the way...where is the vacuum motor for the dash vents located? I see two under the dash. The one just left of center seems to control the floor vents and the one on the passenger side to the right of the glovebox just opens a door in the plenum.

I found a CD manual on Ebay which covers all Fords from 1996-2008. Hopefully it will help me fix the problems I'm having. I appreciate all your help.

Cobraguy please respond

Wondering if the color matters as far as the unit functioning properly. If it does matter, WHY does it matter?

Sorry to take so long to get back...

Short answer...yes. I don't really know why they color code these things and what the difference is. I just know you are supposed to replace with the exact same color as came out of it. Why would they have different ones if it didn't matter? Sorry I can't give you a more detailed answer...I just don't have the information.

You will be happy with the factory manual. You can now go to the climate control section, go to your codes listed in the manual, and it will give exact and specific pin point tests to follow with your multimeter to pinpoint your problem.

Back