• Register Today It's free!

Climate Control vs Knobs

jbbrandt

Reaction score
City, State
Decatur Illinois
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport & 95 Eddie Bour
My 95 Eddie Bauer is kicking the A/C compressor on/off all the time that the climate control is on. If I unplug the A/C relay or the compressor the heater work fine, actually with every thing hooked up it holds timp functions fine. I'm sure that over running the compressor is not helping MPG.

Has anyone replaced the climate control with standard Knobs? How hard is it? I have a doner 96 waiting to be scraped.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could do the swap, but it's very complicated. You have to do quite a bit of rewiring, and swap out the fan motor speed controller and blend door actuator. I'm working on the opposite swap myself (from the manual system to EATC).

As for your "problem" the A/C compressor is designed to cycle in order to provide a "cold sink," which allows the system to better regulate the interior temperature. The manual system also cycles the A/C compressor in most settings (except panel-only and floor-only). That is, even with the manual system the compressor will cycle in the panel/floor, floor/defrost, defrost, A/C, and max A/C positions.

An up date to fast on off cycling of A/C pump. In Summer now and Max A/C working but not quite as cold. Added a can of freon. THat got colder, but best of all stopped the pump on/off on/off on/off real annoyance that has been my complaint all winter. Hope my oops helps some one.

Yes, the on/off cycling is a symptom of low freon levels... Glad you got it fixed! :thumbsup:

Back