Clunk from drive chain?

spotdog14

Reaction score
City, State
East Lansing, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
Clunk from drive train?

Could some of you please help me diagnose what this noise i am hearing is.... First off i have a 95 Explorer Limited with the 4.0 and fwd t-case (not AWD). It makes a loud clunking noise when putting it from reverse into drive, then sometimes when you slowdown really fast then moderatly accelerate it makes a really bad really loud clunk, coming from the same location.

It has a recently rebuilt tranny say maybe 30,000 miles ago (oh BTW it has 160,000 some odd miles on it) I was thinking that it was the U-Joints on the drive shaft, but it could also be the tranny, or rear diff....

What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it clunks when you put it into reverse, it may be a u-joint in the rear driveshaft. The clunk when slowing down could also be the joint between the two halves of the rear driveshaft. Change the rear u-joints, two of them, one at the rear shaft near the diffy and one at the t-case. Also split the two halves of the driveshaft and lube the slip joint.

You mention everything except the transfer case. Is there some reason why you are sure it could not be that?

je5 said:
You mention everything except the transfer case. Is there some reason why you are sure it could not be that?

nope, lol! i guess i just never really thought about it. It works fine, but it will not go into 4wd low. we are the third owners of the vehicle and it spent 99% of its life before us in southern California, and now its living in Michigan. So, from my experiances with my ranger and talking with people, the 4wd low dosnt work becuase it basically was never used.

But you think it could be the t-case? the fluid coming out of it is always in good shape, never any metal shavings.

P.S. Here is a picture of it if anyone cares... lol

551IMG_2264.jpg

It wears out even if you don't change the selector. I would think the tranny shop inspected your driveshaft of course it has been 30K miles ago. I am sensitive to TC problems because of personal history. Grasp the output yolks on the TC and shake up and down and let me know how much play they have. Since it will not shift into 4LO it also leads me there as the source of your problem. Hope this helps.

je5 said:
It wears out even if you don't change the selector. I would think the tranny shop inspected your driveshaft of course it has been 30K miles ago. I am sensitive to TC problems because of personal history. Grasp the output yolks on the TC and shake up and down and let me know how much play they have. Since it will not shift into 4LO it also leads me there as the source of your problem. Hope this helps.

humm, alright ill do that when it gets home. My girlfriend has it right now. I have a question on what i am suppose to grab, the output yolk going to the front or rear diff? Or both?

Thanks for the advice.

Both but especially the rear.

Also another way to check if it's the t/c disco the front drive shaft at the t/c and twist it while it's in 4hi/lo. If your chain is getting worn out it will twist quite a bit (1/4") and you'll be able to feel the chain slapping the guides in the t/c. Hope that helps.

je5 said:
Both but especially the rear.

Ok, so this is what i have discovered..... With the explorer in park i cannot get the rear drive shaft to budge an inch, but the front drive shaft will spinn all the way around (i am assuming this is because it is in 2wd instead of 4wd). But the U-Joints on the front to seem to have a little play in them.

What does this mean? That its not the U-Joints? I was really supprised that it could not get it to turn. Because when i still had my Ranger their was quite a lot of play in the rear diff.

Anyways so what does this mean? Where to do go from here?

Thanks for all the help BTW guys!

AMMO_HOOAH said:
Also another way to check if it's the t/c disco the front drive shaft at the t/c and twist it while it's in 4hi/lo. If your chain is getting worn out it will twist quite a bit (1/4") and you'll be able to feel the chain slapping the guides in the t/c. Hope that helps.

It wont go into 4-low. But i guess if worse comes to worse i can always take the t-case shift motor off and manually shift it into 4-low... lol i have actually had to do this before when i was stuck once.

anyone?

Back