Loud clunking noise from rear end when turning and when shifting into reverse!!!!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loud clunking noise from rear end when turning and when shifting into reverse!!!!!

I'm not sure, how would I be able to tell if it did. It has the switch for 2wd, 4wd high and 4wd low.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK here we go antilock breaks and skid control are closely related as well the newer 4 wheel drive systems. I would say it is normal to hear the bump when macking turns the computer is trying to keep the rear tires rotating the same speed so you hear the break grabe one for a split second. I need to run for a time then I will return to finish this while I am gone clean the little speed sensor and sprocket on each wheel this may help.

But it doesnt do it when I make turns. It's just when I brake and come to a stop or when I take my foot off the brakes and creep up. never while driving or turning. I looked in my manual and couldn't find anything for antiskid control.

Ok, so my mechanic sprayed the bushings or grommits for me and the clunking died down a lot but not fully. But today almost everytime i stopped it did it and again it is only when i stop. So Im still just trying to find answers. Any ideas?

I'm a new member here. I have a ford ranger 3.0 v6 with auto trani. Yesterday I put it in reverse and drove 200 feet or so and heard a loud clank or knock sound. When I stoped I was in reverse but all it did was rev the engine. I put it back in drive then reverse worked. It still makes that sound seems to be coming from the rear end, maybe drive shaft. Anyway also before this happened my od light starts blinking when I drive more than 40 miles. I can turn the car off and back on and it stops. I replaced the sensor on the rear differential, I guess it's a speed sensor or abs sensor. Any ideas what's wrong? Am I looking at having to rebuild my trani? I just got done replacing my top end because my radiator busted and cracked my heads. I'm worried about the cost of this and is it okay to drive the truck. Thanks for any replies

I had a clunking coming from the rear end in reverse then I lost reverse. Once I got in the trani found all 3 bands broken gears burnt needed new ball joints on both sides and a new torque converter. Very expensive and time consuming. I just wounderful if this is why my gas mph has been so ****ty lately :/

Back