Clunk,Squeak,bounce, rattle and roll! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clunk,Squeak,bounce, rattle and roll!

Diddy74

Reaction score
City, State
Bronx
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
I know this has been covered many times, but I need to know what next? 99 Ex 86,000mi+ engine runs smooth and clean. My suspension/steering is driving me nuts! If I hit a bump or dip I get that front end clunk and steering kick associated with the sway bar/end link wear so I know they need replacing, The whole body vibrates and rattles going over uneven or rough pavement. Upper control arms have been replaced, but their is also an annoying squeak coming from somewhere below, I cant tell if its towards the front or mid chassis which would lead me to believe it has something to do with the torsion bars. The front end clunk im sure would be cured by sway bar/end link bushing replacement, but what about the squeak and vibration? Would torsion bar adjustment and lubrication cure the bad vibes and squeak? :(

Replace the sway bar bushings and end links with some poly bushings and I almost bet your problems will go away. Also take a look at your torsion bar bushings and see if they are in good shape, might just climb under there and empty a can of WD40 on all your suspension mounting points. I do this once a year and it seems to work wonders as far as squeaks and rattles.

Thanks for the input, late lastnight I was riding around with my head literally out the window trying to listen to which end the creak-n-squeakin was coming from. I finally came to the conclusion its coming from the rear,and after bouncing the front and back its sounds like the leaf springs can use a good greasin'

Get under there with a can of PB or WD40 and hose it down. Doesn't hurt a thing and fights corrosion as well!

Back