• Register Today It's free!

Clunking noise from underneath

Arsto

Reaction score
City, State
Sulaymaneyah
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017, Explorer, XLT
I own a Ford Explorer 2017 XLT. There is a loud clunking noise underneath the vehicle only when I drive on a rough surface. I can hear the clunk and feel it under my feet. The noise gets worse when I go downhill on a rough surface and press the brake pedal. The mechanic has checked all the components of the suspension system and every part is fine. Any guesses where this voice is coming from? He said that the steering system (particularly looseness in the steering box) could be the cause. Thanks in advance.
The vehicle has 25,000 miles on it.

I live in Kurdistan Region of Iraq.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
Do you have the factory towing package? If you do, there is an air intake that runs from the front bumper valance to the PTU for cooling. Sometimes this item gets loose. If no towing package, perhaps it is part of the exhaust system hitting something?

Peter

Do you have the factory towing package? If you do, there is an air intake that runs from the front bumper valance to the PTU for cooling. Sometimes this item gets loose. If no towing package, perhaps it is part of the exhaust system hitting something?

Peter
Dear Peter,

Thanks for your response. There is no factory towing package on my vehicle. And the mechanic checked the entire exhaust to see if any bolt or hanger is loose. There is no looseness in the exhaust to form that noise. Thnx

Front strut mounts are a known issue for making clunking in the front end. At least in the earlier 5th gens. Front lower control arms & tie rods are also another "weak" point. It could be alot of different things....I just can't imagine what it would be at a low 25,000 miles. If your mechanic has chassis ears that would be a big help in determining the root cause

Do you notice this more at parking lot speeds (like below about 10mph)?
The rear bushing on the front control arm is known to start to fail and cause a clunk that you can hear and feel in your feet, mostly at slower speeds.
I replaced my control arms a little bit ago for a clunk in the front and it resolved the issue.

Peter
That was the issue with my '14, those stupid 1/2 turn fasteners had all worked themselves halfway out so I just took it off. I thought the damn wheel was loose or something.

Also had a different clunk that required new lower front controls arms, those clunked usually turning into my driveway going over that 1-inch concrete lip or hitting a speed bump too fast. The cooling duct was more of a constant clunk-rattle just going down the road.

Front strut mounts are a known issue for making clunking in the front end. At least in the earlier 5th gens. Front lower control arms & tie rods are also another "weak" point. It could be alot of different things....I just can't imagine what it would be at a low 25,000 miles. If your mechanic has chassis ears that would be a big help in determining the root cause
Difitalgp,

Clunking noise is usually caused by lower control arm bushing or sway bar links. The mechanic does not have chassis ears. It is not even available in my country. They just shake the car while it is parked, but the vehicle does not reproduce the noise this way no matter what we do.

Do you notice this more at parking lot speeds (like below about 10mph)?
The rear bushing on the front control arm is known to start to fail and cause a clunk that you can hear and feel in your feet, mostly at slower speeds.
I replaced my control arms a little bit ago for a clunk in the front and it resolved the issue.
The noise is only noticeable when I drive on extremely rough (rocky) surface where the tires make the most rapid up and down movement. The noise is not that noticeable when I go over bumps. The mechanic manually inspected the suspension parts and he said that it would be a waste of money to replace any of the parts since he thought all the parts were not worn out

Do you have the cooling duct underneath?

That was the issue with my '14, those stupid 1/2 turn fasteners had all worked themselves halfway out so I just took it off. I thought the damn wheel was loose or something.

Also had a different clunk that required new lower front controls arms, those clunked usually turning into my driveway going over that 1-inch concrete lip or hitting a speed bump too fast. The cooling duct was more of a constant clunk-rattle just going down the road.
I don’t know why my vehicle is not equipped with a cooling duct underneath

I don’t know why my vehicle is not equipped with a cooling duct underneath
If you don't have the tow package you won't have that duct. That's why I asked the question in post #2.

Peter

I would say it's one of the following: strut mount not properly tightened down or is worn down, sway bar bushing, front control arm bushing or the sway bar end links.

Back