Solved - Clunks While Turning Left? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved Clunks While Turning Left?

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.
Usually if the pinion bearing goes, it stretches the seal and it’ll leak gear oil like crazy.

Usually.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Usually if the pinion bearing goes, it stretches the seal and it’ll leak gear oil like crazy.

Usually.
Yeah, it ain't leaking at all

Yeah, it ain't leaking at I was
I was wondering if you figured this out. Mine started making a similar noise with left turns earlier this year. It's getting worse over the last few months and was quite loud with the last 35-40 mile trip I made pulling a small trailer.
I thought for sure the right outer CV joint was bad.
I put it up on Jack stands today and couldn't duplicate the noise. I went ahead and pulled the right axle and it seems fine, boot is good and had grease in it. I hate to just throw a new axle at it.

I was wondering if you figured this out. Mine started making a similar noise with left turns earlier this year. It's getting worse over the last few months and was quite loud with the last 35-40 mile trip I made pulling a small trailer.
I thought for sure the right outer CV joint was bad.
I put it up on Jack stands today and couldn't duplicate the noise. I went ahead and pulled the right axle and it seems fine, boot is good and had grease in it. I hate to just throw a new axle at it.
Check the plastic piece that sits around your fuel tank. That was my issue, it was breaking and was shifting up against the driveshaft, which caused it to go clonk whenever I was on the brakes or turning left. I zip tied it back up and never had an issue since. Hopefully that's all your case is too. Forgot to update here I guess, I guess I only did on one of my build threads.

Check the plastic piece that sits around your fuel tank. That was my issue, it was breaking and was shifting up against the driveshaft, which caused it to go clonk whenever I was on the brakes or turning left. I zip tied it back up and never had an issue since. Hopefully that's all your case is too. Forgot to update here I guess, I guess I only did on one of my build threads.
Thanks I'll check it out.

Thanks I'll check it out.

20220221_164921.jpg

Back