clutch master cylinder | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clutch master cylinder

shomedic

Reaction score
About to replace the clutch master cylinder on a 93 Sport. Any hints on how to remove and install the line which goes from the master cylinder to the slave cylinder? I have heard that the ends of this line are very fragile and break easily when removing and/or installing.

I am replacing the master cylinder because over a period of about 4 weeks, I accumulate enough air in my clutch system that the clutch pedal gets spongy and the trans gets difficult to shift. I do not have to add fluid except for what I lose in bleeding the system. Based on what I have read on this board it is either the slave or master cylinder. Since the master cylinder is the easiest and cheapest to replace,.... well you know the rest. Any comments?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How many miles? What are you experiencing?

I actually have my truck in the shop as we speak. I'm doing a full clutch job, including the slave cylinder.

I'll keep you posted.

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

Have 87,000 miles on it. If you read the second paragraph, it will explain what I am experiencing.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial ">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by felsmann:
How many miles? What are you experiencing?

I actually have my truck in the shop as we speak. I'm doing a full clutch job, including the slave cylinder.

I'll keep you posted.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

While we are on the clutch topic, i have a 91 with 110K on it it seems to me that it is getting just a bit harder to shift it into gear. i usually try to put into first and if it doesnt go in , i dont force it but rather put it in nuetral and shift to second the to first and it slides right in. its not real bad or affecting anything at the moment but wanted to know should i expect something in the near future? also would that mean i have air in my lines? i dont know to much on this one i have only done one clutch job and thats on a 76 Datsun B210. thanks...

A91EBexplorer4x4,
The Haynes manual suggests that if shifting between 1st and reverse becomes difficult, then clutch wear is enough to merit a change. I am currently in the middle of the job myself.

------------------
1992 Explorer XL
4.0 L V6 5 Speed Manual

Okay guys, I'm still trying to find out how much trouble it is going to be to take off the hydraulic clutch line that goes between the master cylinder and the slave cylinder. Any good tips on how to do it with the least amount of trouble?

Thanks

thanks megillet,
ill have to get it checked out. later

This seems to be my area of expertise! haha! I have done the clutch in my '93 XLT 3 different times... (long story) anyway, it is a fairly simple operation. Just time consuming and hard work. You will need a special tool to take off the hard line from the master to the slave. I got mine at a specialty parts store so I wouldn't know where to get another one. Save yourself alot of trouble and hard work and replace the flywheel while you have the tranny on the ground. The Explorer clutch is so sensitive that if you turn the flywheel the clutch will not engage right. (part of the long story Dead Link Removed )
I would suggest getting a Haynes or a Chiltons manual to help you along the way. They are expensive but worth it. Good luck!

------------------
Happy Trails!
'93 XLT
Many Mod's
http://members.efortress.com/swankmi/

Well, I got my truck back last Thursday and the difference was huge!!! The pedal was softer and the shifting was much better (still not as soft as other manual trannies, but normal for this Truck).

I got a new preassure plate, new clutch pad, new slave cylinder, throwout bearing (was totally shut!), some other new bearing that was frozen (looked like a socket wrench, but I'm not sure what it is called, and turned the flywheel.

As you can see the last thing I said, I turned the flywheel, and it seems like this is a proble, according to NightHawk.

So NightHawk, give us the long story, so we know what's up.

Since Thursday I have put in about 800 miles, the clutch has stiffened up a little and today the shifting is getting just a little tighter, but it's still acceptable. I'll wait a little longer before I take it back. Maybe I should have gotten a new flywheel.

Thanks NightHawk for your insight.

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD 5spd
Warrior Twist
www.explorer4x4.com/thaven_juan.jpg

Question to Nighthawk. So what is the long story? Sounds like it could be interesting.

Shomedic,
Did replacing the master cylinder help your problem?
I'm still experiencing some truoble, similar to what you described and I'm wondering if this is the problem.

Thanks,

Back