Clutch Project for Newbie Thread

Idontown1

Reaction score
City, State
Lexington, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT 4WD
Posted seperately re my self-induced valve job project. Now for clutch:

Father-in-law drives 94 XLT 4WD w/ 4.0 (apparently non OHC) w/ manual 5 speed tranny like a red-headed step child. Managed to get 209k miles on it (mucho road trips) Needs 4th clutch, 3rd one has lasted all of 20k..... says 2nd clutch only lasted about 16k. Which makes #1 clutch a 170k+ clutch..... mighty friggin good!

Why new clutches not last, Mongo?

I'm going in and going in strong to put that tranny and clutch back to stay. Once top end engine job done, rest of unit is finer-n-frog hair. Ok, you're right, it needs Bilsteins all the way around and a K&N... details!!

Please set the cones for me: tell me what I'm looking for when I go in. Just need to get it back RIGHT and TIGHT. I don't see any really enlightening hints from the archieves.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

TIA

TomR

Was the flywheel resurfaced/replaced, the pressure plate replaced, and the throwout bearing replaced each time the clutch disk was replaced?? If not, there's your reason for the low clutch life. Whenever you do a clutch job, you should do all of the above, or you're just gonna be doing it all over again pretty soon.

You're exactly right. This is my Father-in-laws unit. He's bringing the sled over tomorrow am. I need to leave him a message reminding him that I'll need the paperwork on his repairs todate.

He's a car owner who listens to what the mechanic says but doesn't listen to what the mechanic says. He takes his mechanical equipment to not necessarily the right people. He's a medical nuclear physicist of the highest echelon in his field- so all his brains are put to use... just not on the clutch!

Hey, I gotta give the guy a break. He knows alot more about his truck than I know about nuclear medicine... duh!

Thanks!

TomR

Back