CLUTCH SLAVE/MASTER CYL FLUID ?

91 EXP SPORT

Reaction score
City, State
CALGARY, ALBERTA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 EXP SPORT
HELLO ALL...

I'M AT THE POINT WHERE I'M ABOUT TO RE-ASSEMBLE THE TRANNY/TCASE AND RE-INSTALL THE CLUTCH MASTER CYLINDER.
MY QUESTION IS (FOR THOSE OF YOU IN THE KNOW); CAN I GET BY WITH STP-DOT3 BRAKE FLUID ?
I'VE GOTTEN MIXED INFORMATION, ONE SAYS TO USE AP-HYDRAULIC FLUID CLUTCH FLUID AND THE OTHER SAYS THAT DOT3 IS ALRIGHT AS WELL.
I EXCHANGED ADVICE WITH ANOTHER MEMBER THAT SAID HE'D GONE THROUGH SOMETHING LIKE FIVE (YES 5) CLUTCH SLAVES, AND I'M WONDERING IF IT COULD'VE BEEN DUE TO HIS USING DOT3 INSTEAD OF HYRAULIC FLUID.
WOULD THE DOT3 CAUSE THE SEAL IN THE SLAVE TO BREAK DOWN PREMATURELY ALLOWING IT TO LEAK AND DEPRESSURIZE THE SYSTEM ?
ALL/ANY (EXPERIENCED/EDUCATED) COMMENTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.

THANKS IN ADVANCE... :cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DOT 3 is what the factory uses.

DOT 3 is what you need to use

Well there we go folks,

Thanks to everyone for the input, DOT3 is it.

BTW, everything is going back together just fine. Should have my ride back on the road for the weekend.

Thanks again everyone... :cool:

I just have a quick question. What brand slave cylinder did you use? I have the same problem shifting you had. I was told that there was a defect in the original design. A tsb was issued in OCT 97. And there is a service bulletin that indicates that these cylinders have a defective lip seal. Anyway, I was told that there are two styles available now one with the throw out bearing incorporated in it. And one like the original where they are separate. I haven’t taken it apart; so, I am just relying on what I have been told. I have heard horror stories from people who are having repetitive problems with the slave cylinders. I would love to hear how your repair went. Thanks

'91 Exp 'Clutch Slave Cylinder'

Hi Riley,

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

On the 'CSC'.., I purchased three (yes 3) different units,
01) I went to NAPA as they have replacement units (turns out they're an 'aftermarket' job, pretty flimsy to say the least, needless to say I opted out on that one.
02) I went directly to Ford, they had a modified (updated) unit available, it was fully integrated and sealed (like you mentioned). I didn't really like the idea of that so I squashed that one as well.
03) I went back to the dealer and they located an OEM which is identical to the one I pulled, serviceable type unit. So that's the way I went (you can't go wrong with OEM).
My original had gotten ~125K on it before I had to switch it out. This second one ran me nearly 205K, so I suppose that speaks well for OEM now doesn't it.
I'd suggest you examine (then clean) the 'clutch master cylinder' while you're in the process of doing your change out to (sometimes these can cause problems).
It's an awful lot of work for just one little component, so I'd also recommend you dismantle and inspect/refurbish/replace the 'clutch and pressure plate' while you've got the tranny out (make sure you have all the proper jacks and stands before you start).
I went a few extra miles myself. While I had the TC on the bench I took time to service it and the 'electronic shift control'. Also took the time to refurbish the Tranny while it was on the bench, and, not to make the job to exhaustive, you may as well check and/or replace any/all of your universal joints (I recommend Spicer with grease nipples).
It is a ba_ _ _rd of a job, but if you take the time, and do it correctly, you could be saving yourself a lot of time and grief down the road.
All in all, she's back together and doing just fine, took her out into the wwods to do some hill climbing and she's performing just the way she's supposed to.
Now I'm just fininshing up some refortifying bodywork (I'm beefing the rocker panel/substruts) so as to take the slide-overs a bit better.

Good luck with your clutch. Hope I was able to answer your questions for you.

Again, Merry Christmas to you...

'91 Exp 'Clutch Slave Cylinder'

Hi Riley,

Merry Christmas to you and yours.

On the 'CSC'.., I purchased three (yes 3) different units,
01) I went to NAPA as they have replacement units (turns out they're an 'aftermarket' job, pretty flimsy to say the least, needless to say I opted out on that one.
02) I went directly to Ford, they had a modified (updated) unit available, it was fully integrated and sealed (like you mentioned). I didn't really like the idea of that so I squashed that one as well.
03) I went back to the dealer and they located an OEM which is identical to the one I pulled, serviceable type unit. So that's the way I went (you can't go wrong with OEM).
My original had gotten ~125K on it before I had to switch it out. This second one ran me nearly 205K, so I suppose that speaks well for OEM now doesn't it.
I'd suggest you examine (then clean) the 'clutch master cylinder' while you're in the process of doing your change out to (sometimes these can cause problems).
It's an awful lot of work for just one little component, so I'd also recommend you dismantle and inspect/refurbish/replace the 'clutch and pressure plate' while you've got the tranny out (make sure you have all the proper jacks and stands before you start).
I went a few extra miles myself. While I had the TC on the bench I took time to service it and the 'electronic shift control'. Also took the time to refurbish the Tranny while it was on the bench, and, not to make the job to exhaustive, you may as well check and/or replace any/all of your universal joints (I recommend Spicer with grease nipples).
It is a ba_ _ _rd of a job, but if you take the time, and do it correctly, you could be saving yourself a lot of time and grief down the road.
All in all, she's back together and doing just fine, took her out into the wwods to do some hill climbing and she's performing just the way she's supposed to.
Now I'm just fininshing up some refortifying bodywork (I'm beefing the rocker panel/substruts) so as to take the slide-overs a bit better.

Good luck with your clutch. Hope I was able to answer your questions for you.

Again, Merry Christmas to you...

Dale :cool:

Back