Clutch slave/master differences between 91-92 and 93-94 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Clutch slave/master differences between 91-92 and 93-94

gergo

Reaction score
City, State
tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
What are the differences between the clutch slave and master cylinder on the 91-92 Explorer and the cylinders used on the 93-94 Explorer? I am wondering if its possible I have a 91-92 slave being used with my 93 Explorer. The clutch and slave were replaced by the previous owner and the clutch has never been quite the same since... according to the previous owner. It engages only about 2 inches off the floor and as the truck is driven and becomes warmer it seems to be even worse - engaging even closer to the floor. It is very difficult to shift from neutral to first when stopped. If I come to a stop, shift to neutral and immediately try to shift to first it is extremely difficult if not impossible to shift to first or reverse. However if I depress the clutch fully and wait 10 -15 seconds I can then shift much more easily into first or reverse... I wonder if the slave and master are not properly matched (different bore diameters) that I may not be fully actuating the clutch. It seems to me that 10-15 seconds is a long time for the clutch to spin down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump, anyone know the difference?

Hopefully the 93-94 slaves are somehow improved because they all seem weak and failure prone, but the only possible difference that I've heard about is in the hydraulic line coupling. People have issues with engagement with mismatched part years.

Design wise, they're pretty much the same.

What you're describing is an improperly bled clutch, or it's leaking.

When piecing things together, you have to make sure they're matching years so that way the hydraulic pressure is correct per the application.

I've used this video to bleed my sister's '02 Exploder, and my '94 as of today. If you have the tool, or the means, I'd go this way, otherwise, bleed the clutch according to Hayne's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkmFh7hxico

I coughed up the money for a ford clutch slave formy 93 and wow it bled so easily. Took maybe 2 minutes to bleed just like bleeding brakes.... She drives like a dream.

Design wise, they're pretty much the same.

What you're describing is an improperly bled clutch, or it's leaking.

When piecing things together, you have to make sure they're matching years so that way the hydraulic pressure is correct per the application.

I've used this video to bleed my sister's '02 Exploder, and my '94 as of today. If you have the tool, or the means, I'd go this way, otherwise, bleed the clutch according to Hayne's.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HkmFh7hxico

Back