Code P1740: How to replace TCC solenoid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Code P1740: How to replace TCC solenoid?

trj360

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT SOHC
I've been having some transmission issues for a while and it finally threw a code, P1740. According to Autozone's scanners this is a bad TCC solenoid, so I am going to replace it. I found some instructions online for a different Ford transmission and the solenoid was just inside the transmission pan and was relatively easily accessible. My question is, does anyone have a link or their own instructions for this procedure? Or, any other advice? Thanks.

14YXqaHl.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If is intermittent - usually is just a bad connection at connectors.
A bad TCC solenoid does not "repair" by itself.

If is intermittent - usually is just a bad connection at connectors.
A bad TCC solenoid does not "repair" by itself.

I saw a TSB that said something about crimped connectors on the TCC solenoid, and the TSB said to replace the solenoid. With what you are talking about, does that require replacement of the solenoid?

I'm just looking to be reasonably sure this part is likely to be the problem before I go through all the trouble of installing it.

The easiest thing to start with is to check the resistance at the bulkhead connector. The PCM sees the same reading as what you will get when you check it. If you get an intermittent reading, then remove the pan to inspect the solenoid.

If you take the pan out to replace the TCC, might as well replace all other solenoids while you're under there.

I take the pan out every 40-50k miles to do a oil change. It's not complicated, just messy and tedious (so many bolts!)... Once there is easy to get to solenoids, but I would not replace more than needed.

95vb.jpg

Back