code reader for 95 (non compliant OBDII) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

code reader for 95 (non compliant OBDII)

lonestar

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
lou,ky
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT, 02 XLS
I have a 95 Ranger 3.0 and am trying to figure out what type of code reader I need. I believe it has a OBDII connector, but is not fully compliant, meaning it has a cross between OBDI and OBDII.

from obdii.com
"If your vehicle has this style connector, but doesn't have these pins populated, you probably have a pre-OBDII vehicle. To add some confusion, even having the connector with the contacts shown above is not a guarantee of OBD II compliance. This style connector has been seen on some pre-1996 vehicles which were not OBD II compliant."

SO what scanner do I need. A older $35 OBDI scanners won't fit the connector. But I don't believe a OBDII reader will read OBDI codes.

Can you read these codes with a meter like in older OBDI?
Would anyone know which wires in this non compliant OBDII connector correspond to an OBDI connector?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think that connector is to read the tranny codes on a 95.

The connector for engine codes is located under the hood, towards the firewall on the driver's side. It is the standard OBD I connector.

The '95 Ranger is OBD II, and the connector is below the steering wheel. The '95 Explorer is OBD I. I don't know the reasoning behind this, but I verified this by the '95 Ford factory service CD.

I had to do some troubleshooting on my Ranger a few months ago, and I borrowed a Snap-on MT 2500. Nice scanner, but it cost over $2000 :eek: .

My 3.0 does not have a connector under the steering wheel. I believe it has a OBDII type connector, but it is under the hood on pass side next to firewall.
"This style connector has been seen on some pre-1996 vehicles which were not OBD II compliant"
From what I read, I think it is one of the OBDI/OBDII hybrids, similar to Windstar and several other 95 vehicles.

That's strange, because according to Ford it should be OBD II.

"There are two unique engine control systems used within this section, EEC-IV and EEC-V:

Aerostar 3.0L and 4.0L use EEC-IV.

Explorer 4.0L uses EEC-IV.

Ranger 2.3L, 3.0L and 4.0L use EEC-V.

EEC-IV systems are classified as OBDI. EEC-V systems are classified as OBD2. The major difference between and OBDI and an OBD2 system is the level of vehicle emissions monitoring.”

Here's a pic of the connector (with the cover removed) in my Ranger. It's a 2.3L, but should be basically the same setup as your 3.0. If it isn't, I don't know what to tell you, except you might try asking about it on some of the Ranger boards.

Connector.jpg

Back