Where Can I Use an OBDII Code Reader For Free? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Where Can I Use an OBDII Code Reader For Free?

badge49

Reaction score
City, State
Humboldt, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4
I ran into a problem today. In the past I've used AZ's tool loan program to borrow an OBDII code reader and check trouble codes when they come up. They no longer offer code readers for loan (apparently nationwide?). I took my truck and its latest CEL to the Ford dealership today and they refused to read my code unless I paid them $143 for a "service/repair" fee.

All I want is to check what code I have, but I don't have the money to buy the reader. It shouldn't be this difficult to find out what the light means on my dash! Has anyone had luck with getting their codes read for free?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Go to the auto parts store, and they will read it for you, and give you the codes.

I ran into a problem today. In the past I've used AZ's tool loan program to borrow an OBDII code reader and check trouble codes when they come up. They no longer offer code readers for loan (apparently nationwide?). I took my truck and its latest CEL to the Ford dealership today and they refused to read my code unless I paid them $143 for a "service/repair" fee.

All I want is to check what code I have, but I don't have the money to buy the reader. It shouldn't be this difficult to find out what the light means on my dash! Has anyone had luck with getting their codes read for free?

Autozone will read the code for you for free (they won't let you borrow the tool)..

Checker/Kargens/Shucks will loan you the reader, but you need to give them $200 or so until you give the tool back.. then you get your money back.

~Mark

I have an Innova unit and am happy to help. I am in Studio City by the 101/134 interchange.

~Steve

In the past, Autozone stopped loaning the code readers in California. Sounds like they did it again? I always went to the AZ in the Albertson's parking lot on East Ave (by my house). But that sucks if they quit doing it. I'll have to buy a reader then. And let you borrow it. :D

A simple reader will run you ~30usd, might be easier to buy one?

Assuming I make it to truckhaven in a couple weeks, I could bring my ODB-II scanner, but as someone already mentioned.. inexpesive ones are $30-$40ish..

The one we have is $80 or so.. It doesnt do much more than the simple ones other than it knows what the codes are in english.. instead of just telling me the code.

We have this one.. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94217

We got the one with CAN support.. The lower end models from HFT with CAN support is currently $60.. and the one w/out is $40. If you don't have a newer vehicle with CAN bus, you don't "need" a scanner that supports it.

They also have one now that can read live data, but I haven't used that one.. Currently its $130ish..

These are online prices.. which they do NOT honor in the store anymore.. Just keep an eye out on the HFT flyers.. the scanner go on sale.. Sometimes they even have 10% off coupons.. which is how we got our.. on sale and used a 10% coupon.

~Mark

Back