Coil mounts on EB D44 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coil mounts on EB D44

I just got my EB D44 and have a couple of questions:

1st - I thought the D44 had a removable 3rd member. The axle I have is from a '75 Bronc - did this have a pumpkin similar to the 8.8"?

The real question is this - where to mount the coil springs? It appears the EB coils were in about 4" +/- from the explorer's. The springs want to sit right on top of the radius arms. Any thoughts on the spring mounts?

Jon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

were you planning on running them full length?

Originally posted by ALYZ1FLR
were you planning on running them full length?
A D44 from a 75 Bronc would be about the width as the stock D35.

Robb

75 Bronco? Is that a small bronco/bronco II? The 79 bronco I found yesterday was full size. What excactly am I looking for? Sorry for enterrupting your thread FMExplorer.

ALYZ1FLR,
Mudd***** has done an excellent write-up on what to look for in his Dead Link Removed thread. It is a write-up that anyone thinking of doing a SAS should read. The only thing he mentions that I question is disc brakes being introduced in 77. I thought discs didn't come out til they went to full-size in 78, but I am no 100% sure.

Robb

Thank you morriseyO.

I have read through most of the axle swaps multiple times. But every time I go out and locate one I find that some one else has found a different or easier year to do it with. It is a little bit frustrating. I think the next one I find I am going to puchase and sort out the details later. Thank you though.

The discs came out in '78 on the full size bronco. To use an EB axle, you need to fab coil mounts and swap out discs from a F150 or fullsize bronco. The radius arms are about the same length as superlift extended arms. That's about what I figured out so far. Now I need to piece together what I have and go from there!

J

Thats more like it. I found a 79 full size in a junk yard this weekend wrecked. At first I wasnt even going to look at it. I,m glad I did. while looking around the rest of the truck I found.... new bearings,axles and rotors in the back. And two new sets of warren hubs under the back seats. The price was 250. Im going back this weekend to get it. I hope its still there.

Just a reminder tho............that D44 will need to cut down to width and shorter axle shafts installed. I am sure you are aware of this, but just letting you know if you had forgotten.

Robb

Iv never heard of this in any other thread, but have you ever heard of anybody shortining the axle from the gear box side? It looks to me this would save some head aches. Keeping the mounts and spacing correct.

if you run discs on the EB axle, you will also need the knuckles from a 78+.
the coils rest upon the radius arms, and while we're at it, any idea where I could find some new buckets, mine are shot

Dude, glad you got everything OK. Just to clear up your coil mount question. The coils mount in a bucket that bolts to the top of the radius arms where they bolt around the axle housing (where the black rubber bushings are). If you go to James Duff or Jeffs bronco graveyard websites, they sell the buckets that bolt directly to the radius arms. If you can find a 78-79 bronco or f150, look at the front axle. It is just a wider version of what I just sold you.

Also, you should be able to use those knuckles. I put the spindle off of a Disc brake 44 up to that axle before I tore it apart and the hole match up. All you need to do is put some studs in the bolt holes and then you can bolt those spindles and rotor up to that knuckle. this will allow you to retain some sort of stock steering. Just watch your draglink angle compared to your panhard bar. I researched all that crap before I changed my mind on going full width.

Still got some james duff coils that I may not be using. 3.5" variable rate coils. Never been used. Will yield you about 6" of total lift.

Good luck.

Well.........
I just got my diff today its a wide track D44 from a 84 J@@P waggy:( , But as for bronco diffs any bronco from 71 to 79 is usable 77 was the year they srarted coming out with the full size tho it was a split year so not many of the fullsizes where available.
As has been mentioned many times before a small (or early bronco) D44 diff is 58" and the full size ones are 65" i found some usefull diff info here Obiwans YJ swap this is some good info if you are doing diff reasearch.
One thing i should mention is even tho a wagoneer D44 is leaf sprung you can weld axel wedges on it like the bronco diffs have heres the link to jamesduff, they are almost at the bottom of the page.
I looked hi and low for a EB D44 but they are getting hard to find but it seemed that no one could even give a wagoneer diff away there are so many of them and the narrower ones are around 61" and depending on the year they have drivers side pumpkins and i belive they all have disc brakes on the front.
When i get my digital camera i will start a thread on how i am doing this so stay tuned for that. oh ya HAPPY NEW YEAR:D :D :D :D :D

Back