• Register Today It's free!

Coil Springs

stuartr

Reaction score
City, State
Richlands, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
Oh my 02 mounty I have completely ate the outside edge off a 6month old set of tires on the rear. I assumed it was out of align so I took it to the shop and had it checked it was almost dead on well within the specs. We noticed that the drivers side coil is broke on the rear. I have already replaced the pass. side. I was wondering if you think this could have lead to the tire wear issues. I am sure it wouldn't help but would it make one wear tires that bad. Maybe I just caught the other one faster when it broke. If not the spring then any other recomendations of what it may be causing the tire wear. I think it may be the spring, I have been noticing a good bit of body roll and drive about 40 miles of 55MPh highway a day to work that is very curvy. So I was thinking with the spring allowing the body to roll and the curves I am eatting tires up.
Stu

So you replaced only the passenger side when the coil spring broke? And did you do a wheel alignment after the replacement? I think it's better to replace it in pairs.

The broken spring will mess up the alignment and eat your tires.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer?sk=photos

I replaced the spring today and we will see. This came on MUCH later than the spring replacement. Would putting this new one on throw it off that much. It was checked out and the alignment was really good prior to the spring being installed. I really can't see where putting in a spring would throw it out of line.
Stu

Back