• Register Today It's free!

coil springs.

KYLE2289

Reaction score
City, State
MARTINSVILLE INDIANA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 FORD EXPLORER XLT
just wanted to see if anyone had some advice on how to get the nut off of the center bolt through the front coil springs. trying to finish my lift kit in the next week or so and have made it to that point and not sure what the best or easier way to do it would be... thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just use a combo wrench.. I can use the box end most of the time but sometimes I need to use the open end. IIRC its a 1 1/8" wrench (28mm)..

I can do it fast enough that way that its not even worth trying with air tools.. of course, I'm talking about a rust free vehicle.

~Mark

I use a socket and extension to the top.then use a BIG breaker bar, normally those things are on there good and need pb and heat also...

Thanks for asking this question. Getting ready to tackle the job myself. And thanks for the answers too! I got a big breaker and air tools if needed, otherwise I'm hoping PB and a wrench will do the trick.

I'm getting close to despair as I attempt to remove the nut that holds down the coil spring on a 1997 ranger 4.0 4wd automatic. Minnesota vehicle so no shortage of rust. I have soaked the nut in Parts Blaster for days, applied heat (propane) repeatedly, started with a box wrench, then pulled the top end of the spring out and went at it with a 1 1/8" socket with about four feet worth of breaker bar. Not even a squeak. I am beginning to give some thought to (a) forgetting about the whole thing a stuffing the original spring back into place, or (b) cutting the spring off low enough to get at the nut, then cutting the nut off. But if I choose door b, will the remainder of the bolt fall through, or is the nut on the downside welded in? If anyone wants to talk me of the ledge on this, please feel free.

I use a 3/4" breaker bar with a six point socket on all this stuff. I'm not shy about putting a piece of pipe on it. I've had radius arm clunks at the axle, the bolt wouldn't budge with a 1/2" bar, the 3/4 got em tight, no more clunks.

Back