Cold Air Intake CAI that has CARB Executive order number? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake CAI that has CARB Executive order number?

bronchole

Driveway flexing!
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Monsterneer
Callsign
KI6MCO
So, My MAC air cold air intake system does not appear to have an E.O. number so for the first time in 10 years, it is failing the visual inspection. To be fair, the last couple times I had it smogged (always at the same place) they warned me that regulations are getting tighter and they would not pass it the next time.

My options are:
1. Provide an E.O. number for the system I have installed. I will contact MAC and see if they have one.
2. Find another CAI system that has an E.O. number and install it.
3. Return it to stock.

I am going to assume that the MAC system does not have an E.O. available. Does anyone know of an CAI that can pass smog in California?

1997 Mercury Mountaineer 5.0 motor

Thanks,

Dan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I took my CAI off many years ago to avoid just this situation. They even give me a difficult time bout my XCharger even though it has an E.O. number. Too many leftists here in California.

K&N might be the only one.

CARB EO NumberD-269-12

At first glance K&N doesn't make a complete CAI for my rig.... at first glance. Stupid companies show what looks like a kit to install a conical filter in the stock box. Upon further investigation (by a friend of mine) these stupid companies put the wrong picture of the product as the cover picture. K&N PN 57-2513-1 is a complete CAI and is 50 state legal for my 5.0. at 225 from Amazon, I placed the order last night. Hopefully it is exactly what the doctor ordered.

? How much hp or any gains do you get from the 5.0 with a CAI

^^^ Thinking the same thing.

Very little. May get some better throttle response, & yeah on a dyno it may see 5hp or so. Nothing you can feel or measure on the street. The only intakes(car wide) that do anything are if it pulls in air from outside the engine bay & then the abilty to tune it.

Well, don't have to concern ourselves with this. I got the kit tonight and its pretty much an adapter to run a K&N conical filter in the stock box and with the stock intake tube. It will be going back.

I just went thru the junk pile from parting out a 96 5.0 I had, none of that stuff is there so I guess its off to the junk yard this weekend. Oh joy, Sun valley on a 100°+ day!

At first glance K&N doesn't make a complete CAI for my rig.... at first glance. Stupid companies show what looks like a kit to install a conical filter in the stock box. Upon further investigation (by a friend of mine) these stupid companies put the wrong picture of the product as the cover picture. K&N PN 57-2513-1 is a complete CAI and is 50 state legal for my 5.0. at 225 from Amazon, I placed the order last night. Hopefully it is exactly what the doctor ordered.

This is listed for '95 to '97 5.0. Does this fit a '98 to '01 5.0 as well?

Well, don't have to concern ourselves with this. I got the kit tonight and its pretty much an adapter to run a K&N conical filter in the stock box and with the stock intake tube. It will be going back.

I just went thru the junk pile from parting out a 96 5.0 I had, none of that stuff is there so I guess its off to the junk yard this weekend. Oh joy, Sun valley on a 100°+ day!

I do not need carb exemption in TN.
How much do you want for the CAI?

Back