Cold Air Intake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cold Air Intake

Reaction score
City, State
Lost Angels,California
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
I was recently thinking of making my own air intake using intercooler pipes and such sort and putting a large air intake in it and routing the pipes to go down and be either right under the front bumper or in the small air intake hole in the front bumper, just an idea but i wanted some input. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Make you own CAI

If you do a search there about 3 -5 posts on how to create your own CAI in the ExplorerForum. I also think there is a sticky

I made my own and ran it to the air box assemby. I got rid of the airbox itself as well as the rectangle filter to replace it with the cone filter and assembly I made from a do it yourself kit from Checker O'reilley's. If you followed the same type of air routing from the stock rubber and plastic, I think it would be a good idea. There is a thread I found with a picture that would be the same type of setup needed for a snorkel. The biggest difference would be where the flex hosing was routed.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=308825

There is also a snorkel page I found.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39684&page=3

This may help too. It's a diagram of the air intake system.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=296220

Thanks guys I appreciate the help greatly

i just burned a whole into my intake tube off the alternator belt/pulley. Ive come up with what i think is a good design, and will be attemptin it this weekend and posting what ive done.

^ my solution lol
DSC_2333.jpg

its only rubbing cause of the thicker radiator and efan shape. and with no wheel wells right now gravity is trying to bring it down and into the alternator

If you've ever removed your grill and followed where the airbox gets its air from it basically already has what you want to do,the intake on these explorers is fine and designed really well,I never could figure out why somebody would put a cone filter instead of the airbox because then you go from taking cold air from the outside of the vehicle to taking in hot air from the engine bay

Cold Air Intake: Getting the filter OUTSIDE of the engine bay, to bring in "cold" air
Warm Air Intake: Something like the above post's picture, its bringing in air thats as hot as the engine, so its a warm/hot air intake.

Most CAI's are routed through the fender, and the filter is in the fender or somewhere bringing in the outside air. You have to be careful though, not to have the filter able to get wet, and whatnot.

actually, mine is a cold air right now, i dont have wheel wells so the wheels are forcing cooler air up in there

atxeplorer94, yes theres that tube to bring colder air to the intake, but if you also notice(mine fell off or soemthing) but theres supposed to be another hose attached to the passenger manifold that goes into a hole on that same tube fron the front. making it warm air. it makes the temp moderate in the end id say, not cold and not hot. #6 is the tube im taking about
42291990.gif

I never noticed that Xeek, there's so many mods and suggestions for the air intake but with nobody ever claiming a noticable change

The tube your talking about pulls warm air from the manifold during startup or during cold temperatures to increase drivability. Cold is good, but too cold things run like crap.

I am looking into purchasing a Kurtz Kustomz air intake, It replace the stock box pretty much like your photo.....Question I have is, What is done with the two vacumn lines that attach to the old air box?

Back