• Register Today It's free!

cold air intake

92fordexp

Reaction score
City, State
eden tx/lynbrook ny
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 explorer
does anyone here recomend a coldair intake ill be driving from ny to tx and its about 90 deg the hole way. any recomendations on a cheap way to cool the engine as well. i would like to get a cai and a throttle body spacer to improve a little performance any other recomendation not alot of money either thanx?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personally I have not seen a true cold air intake for first gen. explorers but I could be wrong. For a conical airfilter conversion check out http://www.kustomz.com/cat2.html. Throttle body spacer is a waste of money don't do it. If you really find you need more power try a larger MAF or throttle body. These are both proven ways to get more power. Also use the search feature on this board there are lots of good posts about gaining power.
Glen

were could i find a bigger maf and or a trottle body thanx i might want to get a cheap intake with a k/n filter due to my intake is old and crapy more for looks and the fact that it doesnt seal right thanx

i looked at explorer express and i cant find the intake manifold is there any other place i can get this and about how much thanxs

Um, Use the link he posted above...

What you do is limited by $$$$ and time only. If I were towing that far I would get the following in order of importance:
1) transmission cooler
2) add-a-leaf spring
3) KKM
4) exhaust
5) larger TB
6) chip
7) larger MAF

and probably in your case 1) and 2) and maybe 3) would do it for now. It took me a couple of years to get all of that modded in and tuned properly. Modding all of that is not something you can do in a couple of weeks, unless you don't have anything else to do with your time.

thats the stuff i wanna do. but the exhaust whats on the exhaust i havent checked and iam not near the truck at the moment iam in the military. and iam gathering parts before i get home. so the exhaust what parts does it have for emisions headers precats? main caT AND muffler. anything elses? does it have o2 sensors i was thinking of a set up pretty much straight headers to high flow cats and to mufflers 1 for each side unless its not possible thanx u and also i thought the chip for the 1st gen isnt really that great?

what does the chip do for a 92 explorer thanx should i go with headers being i have a small leak in mine now ill go with and with and do all this stuff if its gunna make the truck be happy major stuff that she will get is aal helperspring and oil and tranny cooler electric fan but facing into the rad if possible then this stuff

headers
highflowcat and muffler
tb maf
chip?
intake home made can i make a real short one like this tb coupling maf coupling filter i have a k/n filter my set is short enough and small enough to fit but will it work?

thanx andrew

Man you ask 1000 questions. Best thing for you is to search for old threads..

You should read up on the old threads about chips and 1st gen (EEC-IV) trucks...
Basically, the chip helps some, but not as much as it does on later models that have the EEC-V computers...

I like my chip, it helped some, and any little bit helps on our stock 160 hp trucks...
I have a switch in my truck where I can go to 93 octane performance program, to 87 octane performance program, to stock computer program (87 octane gas). The 87 performance setting is probably not too useful, but the 93 octane program gives more power, unquestionably.

If you want an intake. Relocate your battery to where your airbox is, and get an intake for a 95-97 OHV.

i thanx u very much but one question will my intake i thought of just waf and filter work?

will a short intake set up work no pipe just filter maf to the throttle body and of course the couplers to connect everything thanx u.

MAF has to be at least 6" from the throttle body. A MAF adaptor is fine if you want to reuse the stock tube.

6 inches y is that what does the 6 inches do and thanx u for the answer ill make sure its 6 or more.

Back