cold start!? try again!??

dtl 2k2 sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
stafford Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 SPORT
we'll if my truck a 99 ranger xlt 2 wheel drive 4 cly sits for a lil while it's a very sluggish start. AS in first time you start it it just turns and turns, then if you let it sit for a second or two, it'll start right up. SEEMS TO be first theing in the morning very noticable, and then now seems to be after it sits for 30 mins or so. I'll turn it back on and off, and on again, no problem after that first time. I just put on a new starter 2 months ago, and it makes no noise other then it's trying to turn. The battery is a die hard gold, replaced last fall, any ideas!??? txs,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This sounds similar to a problem I had with my 89 Ranger. Instead of trying to start it right away after it has been sitting for a while, just turn the ignition switch to the "on" position and let the fuel pump run until it shuts itself off. Then turn the ignition switch off and this time try to start it. If it fires up this time, you probably have a bad fuel pump.

The fuel pump has a check valve in it that holds fuel pressure after it is shut off. If that check valve is worn, damaged or has debris caught in it; the fuel pressure will bleed off and the engine can be hard to start after sitting a while.

You can also check this by putting a pressure gauge on the fuel line. If the pressure drops rapidly after turning the pump off, you need to replace the fuel pump.

it'll sometimes roll after the first few cranks but more ofthen then not it'll beon the second try,, 1st time i'll let it crank for 4 times or so, then stop and try it again and thenn it'll usually hit, so how much will this fuel pump cost me,, damn truck is starting to kill me!!

When was the last time your fuel filter was replaced? If your fuel pressure is an issue, it may be your fuel pressure regulator. If it is a temperature related problem, then check these things: ECT sensor, ACT sensor, fuel pressure regulator, MAF sensor, or the O2 sensors.

naw aint temp related, just started this week, it's nice and cool in the morning,s and warm in the after noons,,,, not sureif that matters? never checked the fuel pressure stuff, this is the dd so it's beaten up and down I 95 a lot of the time no problem after it runs either, just starting up once in a while is a lil cautious.. txs u all,

The fuel pump is not that expensive but it is in the fuel tank. You either need to drop the tank or lift the bed off to get access to the fuel pump. Most people prefer to lift the bed.

In either case you need to make sure it is the fuel pump before replacing it because it is not an easy chore.

lol, its still alil sluggish but not as bad now,, i still think it might be the starter,, I wont be doing all that work, it's a 98 so it's getting some age on it, i'll just sell it and let the next guy figure it out if it continues to plauge me,, hope it wont cause it's a fun lil truck to drive around it,, cross your fingers!

Back