• Register Today It's free!

Cold Startup Rattle

RichCresci

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS, 06 Mounty
I don't know if I'm actually hearing this or if I'm just in denial that my car is making a sound, but, I seem to have developed a small small 2 second rattle on cold start ups. Once the engine rpm's drop back down after starting its gone. My oil has only been changed at the dealer for the life of the vehicle. Could it be possible they didn't put in enough? I haven't gotten to checking the oil yet because like i said I'm still in denial its making a sound and its currently raining out. Does anyone have any thoughts on this because I may have some severe nightmares tonight if my car has a regular top end sound developing.:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine has one too. It only rattles on the end of a cold start up then is gone. I believe it's a heat shield on the cat. It's definitely external.

I didn't even think of that.

what filter did they use? Dealer should have Motorcraft . . 820s, What fluid?
I had a 2 second rattle with an cheap off brand filter. Once i switched to a Motorcraft filter it stopped and i also use the motorcraft 5-20w oil. . .
If that whats been used, i'd start looking for 'chain tensor' threads. . .
try and pin down the location of the sound as someone else starts it for the first time if you can .

Sounds like the same timing chain tensioner my Mark VIII makes sometimes on startup.

Back