Whose SOHC still does the timing chain startup rattle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whose SOHC still does the timing chain startup rattle?

iwfur25

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Ranger XLT 4x4
I recently replaced all the timing chain parts on my '01 Ranger, including the 00M12 kit for the front hydraulic tensioner. It wasn't doing the death rattle yet, just the noise at startup.

Well I discovered that the 00M12 kit was installed before I bought the truck, but I put the new one in anyway since I had it.

Apparently the kit did nothing for my motor in the past or now. It still rattles the same at startup as it did before I did the work. I suppose it could be something else, but I'm still blaming the timing tensioner since the noise goes away as soon as the oil pressure comes up. It runs fine and quiet otherwise.

So, has anyone else had bad luck with this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I managed to ask a previous owner about the engine fix on my Explorer. Apparently it had a costly rebuild for some reason (I presumed the tensioners but it might not have been), and also upon inspection it seems I have the 00M12 kit fitted too, yet it still rattles slightly in 2nd when cold. As soon as it shifts up it goes away.

Edit: Mine doesn't rattle when it's idling but when I pull away after starting it'll sometimes make the noise. I do have a rough idle though too.

Has it been done?

I have no history on my 2000 Sport with 151,000 miles. How did you determine that the 00M12 kit had been installed? Did you have to pull the engine to replace all of the timing chain parts? Did you get the post 02 parts with all of the improvements?

The conclusion I got from a bit of research here is the stock front tensioner has a flat head, whereas the replacement protrudes out. I'm sure someone can give a more technical explanation!

Mine does it when started cold, for about 2 seconds. Then its quiet and runs good. Haven't changed anything yet but was thinking about doing the rear tensioner first since its cheap and easy. 113,000 miles

I determined the 00M12 kit was installed when I took out the oil gallery plug and found the plastic oil restrictor thing already in there. The 'extended head' tensioner was also already there.

As for the rest of the parts, everything is new. Left/right cassettes and hydraulic tensioners as well as the whole primary chain set.
I ordered the primary chain set as the TSB kit and the tensioner has the heavier springs, showing that it is the improved version.

Mine has always done what jrjr2u's does... rattles for about 2 seconds on a cold start (sitting overnight or longer) and then it's happy.

mine rattles loud when cold then just barely noticeable rest of the time.
Its got 125k miles now, I am not gonna worry about it, as cheap as low milage Mustang
4.0s Mustangs are being sold in junkyards and ebay ($1000 or less) when the engine blows up Ill just swap in a new one, just as easy and cheap as doing the complete timing chain repair and Ill end up with relatively fresh engine instead of a tired 125k mile one.

mine too

. . . I suppose it could be something else, but I'm still blaming the timing tensioner since the noise goes away as soon as the oil pressure comes up. It runs fine and quiet otherwise.

So, has anyone else had bad luck with this?

I haven't had the kit installed but I just started hearing my chain at start up. I've been playing with the mixture control which affects the idle speed at start up. Prior to my latest adjustment my engine speed never exceeded 1500 rpm at start up and I never heard the chain. Now it does exceed 1500 and I hear the chain for a few seconds. All the more reason for me to purchase a preoiler.

compatible 4.0?

. . . I am not gonna worry about it, as cheap as low milage Mustang 4.0s Mustangs are being sold in junkyards and ebay ($1000 or less) when the engine blows up Ill just swap in a new one, just as easy and cheap as doing the complete timing chain repair and Ill end up with relatively fresh engine instead of a tired 125k mile one.

How compatible are the later Mustang 4.0 SOHCs with 2nd generation Explorers? It looks like the entire intake system is different. Are you thinking of just buying a Mustang long block (block with heads) and using everything else from the Explorer?

99 Explorer Sport

Well, my tensionaer has been replaced some miles ago, however mine still rattles when the unit has been sitting for a couple of days .... but upon daily use, the rattle is barely noticable.

I could be wrong (which is often) but the 00m12 kit doesnt replace or take care of all the chains on the engine. For example, the tensioner to the balanced shaft can go -- mine did (causing a rattle) and I found bits and pieces of the tensioner in the oil pickup.

metal_strip_chewed.jpg

And found this sitting on the ladder frame:
unknown1.jpg

Yeah, 00M12 doen't touch any of that. But I did. Too many pics of broken guides and stuff going around to leave the factory parts in there.

Back