• Register Today It's free!

Cold tranny

Rob_B

Reaction score
City, State
Waterloo, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 F-150
When I was driving home today I accelerated pretty hard to get up to speed then let off, but it took my tranny at least 3 seconds to shift into gear. I try not to do that cause it usually takes a while to shift, but today was notably longer than ever before. I'm really paranoid about my transmission (already replaced valvebody) and was wondering if it could have had something to do w/ the weather being slightly below zero. I'm thinking a new truck payment sounds better than tranny payments. This isn't the first time it's taken a while to shift, but has occred more in the past couple months. It was fine previous winters. Is it common for the transmission to act like that in cold weather?

Thanks

No, in cold weather the trans should still work properly. I've had 2 rebuilds start like this. It would slowly get worse, and then somthing would let go in the trans. I have been wrong in the past, however.

I've been babying it since and haven't had that problem, but I don't think there's much life left in it. I think I fried the clutch packs when my valvebody messed up last year. I just hope it lasts untill I get out of college.

Back