colder plugs/ slightly modified Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

colder plugs/ slightly modified Explorer

eric2001sport

Reaction score
City, State
Irwin, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Premium Sport 4wd
Anyone ever have this problem, any suggestions or part numbers on colder plugs? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks, Eric

engine detonation (pinging)
I have a 2001 4.0 sohc that pings like crazy under light throttle, octane doesn't make a difference. Has done it since I bought it. Tthe dealer tells me it's the ethanol in the gas that causes it. Anyone else have this problem? and suggested fixes. I have since put in a superchips, flowmaster, and a KKM intake system and it still pings. Thinking about changing to a hotter plug or something. Any help is appreciated! Oh yes under moderate (1/2) to WOT it runs fine!

Thanks Eric

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My Mustang had this same problem. Try cleaning the MAF with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol. This helped a lot for me. I ended up going with one heat range colder on the plugs too and the problem was gone. Try cleaning the MAF first because its easy and free.

I just cleaned my MAF and it solved a poor running condition I had that did not display any codes. Cleaning my MAF was not free! Oxygen sensor safe, throttle body cleaner cost $2.99 + tax..... ;)

Eric, I wouldn't recommend colder plugs unless you're running forced induction or nitrous oxide. I'd try the routine detonation fixes first. Stuff like mass air cleaning, an injector flush, etc.

If you do decide to go with colder plugs (and you want colder, not hotter), I just used the OEM replacement Motorcraft double platinums, just one heat range colder.

okay...im retarded. what do the heat ranges on plugs mean/do?

nick

Attachments

• picture1.jpg
    picture1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 132

look at the last paragraph in that description. It means that too hot of a plug may cause detonation or pinging. While switching to a colder plug may stop detonation, the plug will foul up faster and the engine won't combust as efficiently unless in a high-performance application where overall temps are hotter.

Whoh... okay... im fouling plugs all the time and ping like a mad man when I visit my parents (I got uphill about 70mph). Would colder plugs help? I was using Bosh +4's and I have no idea whats in there now.... hmmm

nick

If the plugs are fouling, then you're either running too rich or the plugs are too cold already. I'd run the Motorcraft double plats at the recommended stock heat range for the year of the heads you have. If you ping, it's probably due to another problem.

Actually... I was thinking about going back to motorcraft. All these fancy plugs havent been doing me much good so far. Anyways... I finnally passed smog. Added new 02's and a new Cat... but my mechanic said my MAS was busted (although I wasnt getting a CEL) so... im going to test out a brand new stock MAS and also send in my aftermarket MAS for a fixin.

nick

Back