Modified Explorer 5.0L Engine - How do I modify the EEV-V | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Modified Explorer 5.0L Engine - How do I modify the EEV-V

NORCAL306Ranger

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose
Year, Model & Trim Level
I have 1999 Ranger that was originally equiped with a 3.0L Flexfuel engine. I have installed a 5.0 engine with the 1999 Explorer PCM, harness, PATS, and all other accessories. I also have an AOD [does not have AODE] tranny with a shift kit and 2200 stall converter. The following mods have been done to the 5.0L: Edelbrock Performer Intake, Edelbrock Performer Heads [2.02 Intake, 1.60 Exhaust, 64cc heads], E303 Cam, rebuilt 306 short block with flat top forged pistons [10:1 Compression], Heddman Hedders 1 5/8 primaries 2 1/2 Collectors. Originally I was going to use a EEC-IV from an 89 Mustang but getting the harnesses to match was proving to be a nightmare. So I decided to bite the bullet and buy the 1999 Explorer stuff. I realizing that some of the mods I've done may not work right with out a tune and/or change of parts. The Mass Air sensor does not seem to plug in to the EEC-V harness.

I used to have a Mustang with the EEC-IV and the computer seemed to adapt to the mods easily. The EEC-V its seems may give me trouble. Engine has not fired yet but I want to make sure all is well before I my first fire up.

HOW DO YOU TUNE THE EEC-V for THE ABOVE LISTED MODS? COULD NOT FIND A MASS AIR METER CALIBRATED TO 24LB/HR INJECTORS FOR THE 1999 EXPLORER 5.0L. HELP!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

James Henson, (Jah81592) is our forum tuner for these things-

hit him up.
I say this from first hand knowledge, as he tuned my setup which is very similar to yours. Click the mx4 link in my signature.

thanks Turdle,
I actually emailed him last night and I'm waiting for the reply. One thing I noticed was that you're using a MAF from a Lighting. What year Lighting MAF are you using? Also for injectors, I originally had the FMS 24 lb/hr injectors for the 89 Mustang Gt. The harness did not fit the older injectors so we started splicing the 1999 Explorer harness and retro-ing the older EEC-IV injector connectors to fit the older injectors but with the new 1999 EEC-V harness. If this is a no-no, not a big deal, we'll repair the connectors. Possible to use the Lighting Injectors as well, if the older injectors are not compatible with the EEC-V? Can I use the EEC-IV injectors?

Welcome to the forum. You can use either injector type, they have the same impedance. Use the connectors that you have to for them to plug in. So splicing those is fine, there are individual adapters that cost over $6-8 each.

Get with James, you will need a PCM flasher to tune the engine, and turn off the trans function if you don't use a 4R70W. The AOD isn't worth the trouble that it will be to install a TV cable, versus the greater strength of the 4R70W.

Use a MAF which plugs into the OBDII engine bay harness, like the Lightning MAF. They aren't calibrated to the injectors, that's old school. The flasher can match any MAF and any injectors to any engine.

Did you also get the keys and ignition cylinder with the PCM and PATS? You need those keys if you want to start the engine without a special Ford diagnostic tool. Ideally you did get two keys, then you will not need any help from Ford. You can deal with the keys with a locksmith then by changing tumblers in the doors, or buy those also and swap them. If you don't have one of those keys, the engine cannot be started. The PATS requires that only its programmed keys will be allowed to work. It tests the key each time the engine is started. Regards,

Nice! I've spent the past few years building a '68 RS Camaro [yeah...I know.. turn coat] and I haven't really been in the Ford world since I built an '88 GT back in 2000. Since I started building this Ranger I haven't noticed much aftermarket for MAF sensors for EEC-V. I'm getting used to the new generation of Ford aftermarket stuff and EEC-V and OBD II. The new harness is WAY less complicated and its makes sense cuz more stuff is centralized in the computer.

Anyhow, Thanks for the advice on the Lightening MAF, I will source and purchase ASAP. Knowing the injectors are still compatible is a big relief. As far as PATS, ped5stang in this forum was able to hook me up with the PCM, PATS module/transceiver, key assembly[with key] all from the same Explorer for a great price.

As far as the PCM flash, I've read good stuff about James Henson and I've already sent an email last night with my situation.

A few other small mop-up things I've encountered as I approach project completion is the starter. The '89 5.0 system uses a solenoid outside the starter and the new system does not. We're planning on incorporating the old starter with external solenoid to try to save some money unless a good used one is found relatively cheap. We're worried the 4R70W flexplate has different tooth count then the AOD.

Another thing, are the Torque Monster Headers the only aftermarket headers available for this swap???? $550 - $700+ dollars is insane!!!

The headers I have now were designed for an older 302 Ranger swap but they only worked by banging the crap out of one of the primaries on the drivers side to avoid the steering and the brake line on the passenger side will be moved cuz its only a few centimeters from the exhaust in its current location. I also really dislike were the collector terminates, I would prefer an angled rearward design, rather then straight down. Any ideas?
Thanks for the input.

I bought an Explorer starter for about $50, that should be a good price. I would also rather have the starter solenoid on the fender. The Lightning MAF is easy to come by for $50 also.

I think the flexplate I bought for my 4R70W is a 164, check to see if the AOD was 158 or not the 164.

If you can try to ask Terry if they can find another key from that PCM/PATS truck. You can start the engine with what you have, but you cannot add any other keys without special help from a Ford dealer. The PATS memory has to be erased by them to begin over with new key codes.

Back