• Register Today It's free!

College Budget SAS

SuperEx91

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT EB
I just bought a '91 explorer and I have plans to do a full width axle swap on it. Being on a college budget which barely allows me to pay attention, I was wondering what kind of options are out there. I want to put a d44 up front and a f9" in the rear. I have access to all the tools I would need, welder, saws, drills, and all that. I am just not too familiar with the specs I have to go by or the angles for spring cups and that type of stuff. I want something that I can go mudding with and also be able to drive on the road. I believe in go big or go home so I wanted to know what i could do. I was hoping for a setup to allow at least 37's. I am not a big fan of blocks so for the rear, I am planning on longer feafs and a SOA. So far, from reading these forums, I have gathered that I need:
D44 out of 78-79 f-150/bronco
F9" out of ???
Extended radius arms
Longer coils
Longer leaf packs
I am looking for some help along the way. This is my first project and I never want to forget it. Thanks for any help you can give me.-Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site!

Well, you really should attempt to look for the 76-77 F150 front axle before the 78-79. The 76-77 have welded on c-wedges (radius arm at axle end) so you can grind them off and move them in instead of having to space out stuff from the frame for the full width. If you can't find that, you can get a 78-79 which has cast/built in c-wedges. In that case you'll need to use spacers/blocks to push the coil buckets, etc out from the frame to work with the full width axles. There are quite a few write-ups on the full width axle swaps. I'm doing one as well that I think is pretty in depth of the entire process (a very, very long process in my case...about 9-10 months of collecting parts!)

I'm on a high schooler budget so I know where you're coming from. I got my Ford 9" out of a 1983 F100. You can really get it from any Bronco or F150 from about 76-86 though. You don't HAVE to have extended radius arms, but it's a nice addition. Most run 5.5" coil springs from an Early Bronco (66-77). That's what you'll want since you believe in "go big or go home" ;) I'm running CAGE offroad 5.5" coils, but the Wild Horses 4x4 5.5" coils are very popular as well. For the rear, I'm running SOA with add-a-leafs in the stock springs, so that equates to about 8" of lift in the rear.

Alright, that helps out alot! I wasn't sure where to start. But I guess i'll start looking for those axles. I have been reading your swap the past couple of days during my class and am very impressed. That is my ideal setup. Thanks for the help.-Tom :cool:

Ditto what he said. Just take your time if your on a budget and look around the forums and ask people you know, you can be suprised by what you find. Im also doing my SAS on a highschool budget so i know what it feels like. However dont cut corners, if your going to do something, do it right. It may take longer and cost more but when things dont break, its worth it. Thats why im going with cromo shafts, detriot lockers and Tom Woods shafts. :eek: :D

I'm in on another "college budget" SAS projects. Though I'm a tad older than the typical college student, and have a full compliment of tools and equipment, I'm still in college as well...

Mine is going under my 86 Ranger -- Dana 60 rear, disk brake Dana 44 (8-lug - front, both from full-size Jeep trucks), 38 x 15.5 x 15 Swamper TSL radials on 15 x 10 steel wheels, 4 link front and rear, high steer, and probably coil overs up front.

So far, budget wise, I've laid out $300 for the tires, wheels, axles, and all the Mountain Off-Road brackets for the 4 link. I've got the Ranger, bought and paid for (since 1988!). I also have a 91 Explorer for parts which will provide the engine, transmission, transfer case, computer, cooling system and other related parts, plus the parts I need for the doubler, except the shaft, which Bob Meyers will probably make for me. I still have to build a deck to finish paying for the rest of the axles and brackets, but I can do that one board at a time if need be... Trading work for parts is a great way to extend the budget.

I'll be using my HF pipe bender to make the exo and other related tube work, the box will be gone, as will be most of the front end sheetmetal, save for a narrowed hood and some remnants of the front fenders. I'm planning on a rear-mount radiator and transmission cooler (built into the cage structure, ala Class 7 SCORE trucks) to be able to narrow the front end somewhat for better visibility.

It should be a wild ride, and I've got most of the main component stuff I need with very little cash outlay. Mostly what I do is look to trade stuff for stuff, or trade work for stuff. I also head out to the local pic-a-part toolbox and tape measure in hand to see what fits where I need it. Of course, having a full-on shop doesn't hurt... I do my own welding and wrenching, and I can also do it for others to pay my way if need be.

Back