Coming to a stop, I feel like I am bumped from behind | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Coming to a stop, I feel like I am bumped from behind

mekkerl

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Limited
Hey Guys - I just purchased a 2007 Limited V8...excellent vehicle! My wife and I notice that when we are coming to a stop (like at a red light), at about 5-10mph, it feels like we are being hit from behind...could this be the transmission, brakes, etc...?

Anyone experience this with theirs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There is a thread about this ford does a reflash of the computer to fix the problem I do believe it is the trans.

Thanks BigV - I searched for a little but only found bits and pieces about this. Do you have the link to this thread available you could post?

Thanks!

All set guys - got the truck back from the dealer yesterday after having them reprogram the TCM and PCM, seems to run smoothly.

Yea I have the same problem. Guess it's time to call the dealer. Blah.

Stylin - just make sure you mention the TSB 08-9-5...or else they will come back to you suggesting a tranny fluid flush. That's what happened to me, then I researched and found this TSB. Took it back, and it was all good...

same problem same fix although mine would also clunk when accelerating

Hi I have a 2007 mountaineer premier and have the " bump stop" issue when stopping or parking or siting in traffic, any one out there on the Big Island of Hawaii have the same issue? Need help in locating qualified tech to deal with this.

I had this TSB done on my ST 3 times, when they did the TSB on it, its good for about a week and then the problem returns... :( But I'm used to it now, especially since its out of warranty now - over my mileage warranty limit!) Doesn't hurt the tranny at all, just that the transmission downshifts at a certain speed and since the 1st gear is soo low, of course you can feel it engaging! you don't feel it if you stop quickly, but slowing down very slowly you can feel it when it downshifts...

Stylin - just make sure you mention the TSB 08-9-5...or else they will come back to you suggesting a tranny fluid flush. That's what happened to me, then I researched and found this TSB. Took it back, and it was all good...

Mekkerl, I have an 07 limited v8 also. And mine started doing this a little while ago? Did this fix permently fix it for you? The reason I ask, I heard it's prone to keep doing it.

6 speed issues

My 2008 ST V8 is in the shop right now for this issue. The service writer told me the 2009 F150's and Expeditions are already coming in with this issue and customers are not happy.

I guess if I bought a $40-50K Expy EL or F150 Platinum with this tranny and then found out Ford had been building and selling this tansmission with the same issue for 4 model years with out fixing it, I would be seriously pissed.

I guess I am just lucky at least so far I only have 3700 miles on my STA but I have no bump. I do notice that when the air is on it affects the driveability. The truck drive rough if that makes sense not like over pavement just the way the throttle engine and trans respond together not smooth.

Ever since I got my SCT Custom Engine and Transmission Tune, I don't think I have that bump anymore... or since it shifts so HARD now with the tune, the bump is merely noticeable now? LOL :p

Ever since I got my SCT Custom Engine and Transmission Tune, I don't think I have that bump anymore... or since it shifts so HARD now with the tune, the bump is merely noticeable now? LOL :p

Who did you get your SCT tune from? Notice much power difference?

I'm interested in the tune. Tell me about the differences it made.
The "bump" from behind could be me!

What kind of bumper is that? How much?

And how is your winch hooked up? Yellow top battery?

The bumper is a custom job. I'll get it to paint tomorrow and try to post some pics when it's all finished. There are a few other pictures on the thread "New Shoes for My ST". I found only 1 source for a winch mount and I decided I wanted something a little "sturdier" so I began working with a friend who owns a welding shop. The winch is a Warn 9000 and I still have my regular battery at the moment. After paint, I'll mount a couple of KC Daylighters.
You can grab the bumper or guard at any point and shake the whole truck. It should be "tuff enuf".

Who did you get your SCT tune from? Notice much power difference?

Torrie from Unleashed Tuning did mine. Yes it was a BIG difference, like power on demand, you don't get that sluggish laggy take off, and the shifting is very noticeable, shifts hard between gears! Especially when you change it back to stock, it feels like a 4cyl!

The factory setup limits your standing acceleration/takeoff, gives you only like 60-70% max throttle until you start to move and it'll gradually increase as you go, hence to make smoother take-offs and makes the drivetrain last longer. Thats why if you're moving and going about 15-20Kph and then floor it you'll notice a harder takeoff then standing still because you're moving and the system will then give you near full throttle, just limits you're takeoff from stop, and also softer shifting for smoother shifts.

Thats why it feels unlike a V8 compared to normal vehicles at take-off because of this limiter!

ALSO don't forget to reset your OIL Life %, since when your OIL LIFE becomes less than 10%, it ALSO limits your POWER to about 75-80%!!! I know this because this had happened to me and as soon as I reset the OIL LIFE % it instantly got all the power back! From factory it does this so you don't run FULL power on dirty oil, so your engine can last longer!

All these nifty perks from Ford to make the engine and drivetrain last longer is cool, but most ppl don't know about this and are surprised when it seems not as powerful as they might think!

Now with the tune, it removes these features (except for the OIL life power limiter), giving you full 100% throttle at takeoff and with the transmission tune makes it shift alot harder and stays and shifts between gears alot better while accelerating. Plus the tune also changes your timing and spark and type of fuel and give you a little more power and torque too!

My 3 custom tunes are as follows:

Tune 1 (Economy 87) - Tunes engine to use better mileage using normal gas
Tune 2 (Performance 93) - Tunes engine for most power using 93 octane gas
Tune 3 (Performance 93 with ABS off, Traction Control off) - Tuned for Drag Racing at the tracks! :)

I mostly use Tune 2 all the time, and only use Tune 1 if going on long trips, even then so far all tunes gives me better mileage than stock if I drive it conservatively... which hardly happens, that instant torque rush feeling is all TOO ADDICTIVE!!!

I also have this combined with my K&N CAI and Thrush Turbo Welded Exhaust with Resonator Delete)

I say its definetely noticeable! It should have been like this from factory! Now it feels like a V8!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back